How do I stop breastfeeding???

My son is 2 years old and no longer nurses during the day, but at night it seems to be the only way to get him to sleep or BACK to sleep when he wakes up in the middle of the night. Any tips, tricks, or ideas would be GREATLY appreciated!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:33 PM on Sep. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He will have to learn to self soothe. At his age, he doesn't need the food to sleep. He is using you as a pacifier. How about rocking him. If he is nursing several times at night, start weaning off of them one at a time. A week per feeding. Lay with him but don't feed him.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 7:35 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• nope :( ..is dad available to help, so hes not around the boob...
    my dd would try but a nice "no,no" for a few days did it...
    sooth his as good as you can without the breast.. after a week he should *cross fingers* get the point & know he is going to lose the battle..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 7:35 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• The only way we got my son off of night feedings was to have my husband go in and put him back to bed. He would rock my son till he fell asleep (5min about). If I went in it was a battle until I gave up and fed him. It was a little hard on my husband but it only lasted about a week and a half and then my son slept through the night.
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 7:38 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• There's no father involved. It's just me. T_T

MamaHalloween

Answer by MamaHalloween at 7:41 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• i just weaned my 1yo daughter. what works for us is i tell her it's night night time and i close her blinds, turn on her night light and her music (she has a crib soother). then i hold her and rock her until she goes to sleep most of the way. when i put her in her crib she is a little bit awake but just looks at me or lets out one last pitiful cry and then goes right to sleep lol. she does cry a little bit in the beginning, but only for a minitue and then she sees it's really bedtime and she has to go to sleep lol. i would definately not feed him if he wakes up at night.... a crib soother is great for them to play and look at to put themselves to sleep (my 5yo still uses his lol). my kids have been using that to go back to sleep in the middle of the night since they were 6 months old. once you stop nursing during the night for a week, then you can stop nursing before bedtime and try to rock him to sleep.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 7:50 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• pat him in his back to go back to sleep
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 8:42 PM on Sep. 30, 2010