What the heck am I supposed to feed her?

I have read that you aren't supposed to give bottles after 1 year. My daughter just turned one and I want to change her diet but havent quite figured out how to eliminate the bottle. I give her a 6 oz bottle of whole milk first thing when she wakes up and a 6 oz one before bed...between then she has a good breakfast of fruit, eggs, whole wheat waffle, cheese, and then she has snacks and dinner is always one of those gerber things with the pasta, meat and veggies. What should her feeding sched look like? Im sure theyll enlighten me at her 12 mo check up but its not til the 14th of this month and Id like to know before then!

cpuckett27

Asked by cpuckett27 at 7:34 PM on Sep. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• At this age she can eat anything that she can gnaw or chew to death. Or you can mash it up. Replace the bottle with a sippy cup or straw cup.
    Start offering her what ever you eat.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 7:38 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• they mean the literal bottle. move to a sippy cup? other than that, breakfast, lunch and dinner.... and 2-3 snacks a day.
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 7:38 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• When my son turned one he basically had the same feeding schedule as me. Breakfast, a light snack, lunch, another light snack, then dinner. For his snacks I'd give him a few crackers or something similar. And don't stress about the bottle. If it's a real issue for you, get a leak proof sippie cup and see how she takes it!
    MamaHalloween

Answer by MamaHalloween at 7:38 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• She won't take much milk out of a sippy cup but she'll drink 6 oz at one time out of a bottle. Does she need that? Cause I can stop giving it to her in the am and just go ahead and do breakfast when she wakes up...its just been routine since I stopped bfeeding to hand her a bottle when she first wakes up in the am while I change her diaper and she gets used to being awake. I can change the routine though :)
    cpuckett27

Comment by cpuckett27 (original poster) at 7:41 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• my daughter is 18months and i still haven't eliminated the bottle. everyone is different and there isn't really a set time. she eats regular food. she loves eggs, pasta, waffles, pancakes. if you ment more for dinner just steam veggies and mash them. or whatever you are eating is pretty ok. my daughter loves fruit. she eats bananas like crazy. she likes grill cheese. she loves those suasage links for breakfast. bread with creamcheese and jelly.
    i bought this really awesome book called superbaby food.
    i guess change the bottle to a sippy. that is all it is. its hard but they will get use to the idea. i try to give to her during dinner instead of before bed. she does sippies during the day and bottle. its been a long process for me but what i have read everyone jsut seems to take it away and never look back. good luck.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 7:44 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• This is from my son's dietitian. Good luck!

Breakfast, with 1/2 cup (4 ounces) of cereal, 1/4 cup of milk and 4 ounces of orange juice. Or instead give a slice of bread with 1 tablespoon of peanut butter and jelly and 4 ounces of orange juice.

For lunch, consider a 1/2 sandwich (one slice of bread), with 1 slice of lean luncheon meat and cheese. Or a tuna fish sandwich. Or a sliced and quartered hot dog. And water, juice or milk.

Dinner might include 1-2 ounces of chicken or beef, 2-3 tablespoons of vegetables, some whole wheat bread and 1/2 cup of milk.

Plus, your child will likely need a couple of small snacks mid-morning and in the early afternoon. These might include 1/2 cup of milk or juice, 2-3 tablespoons of fruit, or a slice of cheese. Alternatives might include some jello, pudding, or yogurt.
    Leigh519121

Answer by Leigh519121 at 7:45 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Wow Leigh! I think I am feeding my daughter wayyyyy too much according to your dietitian!
    cpuckett27

Comment by cpuckett27 (original poster) at 7:50 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• milk really isn't needed if you give your daughter cheese and other dairy types. you can give her water in a sippy. you don't HAVE to drop the bottle... my girls were using sippy cups by 9 months. it's really a preference thing. lol.
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 8:20 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• my DS ate way more than that at 13 months....and I wil add he was in the 25th percentile for weight and 75th for height (so very slender). They are all different. My DS STILL drinks 3 sippy cups of milk (1/2 soy & 1/2 dairy)/day(he's 32 months) . I know it is allot but he eats all 3 meals as well. So i don't worry about it. I think they mean get rid of the literal bottle. She will hate it for a few days but stick to your guns and she will be fine. They say switch to Whole Milk from formula (if not nursing) at 1 and then 2%/1% @ 2.
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 8:26 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• try different cups
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 8:41 PM on Sep. 30, 2010