Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

i dont know how to handle this

im trying to get my ex husbands rights takin from my to boys..hes never around and in and out of jail and the man im engaged to now wants to adopt them..what do i do???

Answer Question

Asked by niki0509 at 7:42 PM on Sep. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

Level 3 (16 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • He has to agree to sever paternal rights. You can't coerce him into it.

    Answer by Jademom07 at 7:43 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

  • Take him to court.

    If he will not willing agree. Your only other option then is taking him to court, and have a court remove his rights. Not likely to happen though to be honest. In most cases, for a court to strip rights, it usually has to be proven that he is an immediate danger to the children.

    Answer by pixie_trix at 7:45 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

  • He has to agree to it. Unless he behaves bad in front of them .

    Answer by hmomr at 7:46 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

  • If, you can prove that he hasnt done anything for the kids, and the man that you are engaged too, has taken the responsibly of caring for your children, then I dont see why the they wouldnt take his rights away.

    Answer by Army108th at 8:06 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

  • In my state, if a parent has zero contact with their child for at least 6 months, then it is considered abandonment and rights can be terminated without the parent's consent. Zero contact means no financial support, no gifts, no visits, no phone calls, not even a card. The contact doesn't really even have to come from the parent as long as whatever contact is made is in that parent's name (eg...send a card & sign Dad's name to it, but it really came from grandma). Before you can do this, however, you must petition to the court for termination of the other parent's rights, post an ad in the newspaper for a few weeks (I think it is 6, but I can't remember exactly) announcing your intentions, then hope the deadbeat doesn't show up to court.

    It may be different in your state and you should consult with an attorney or call the family court to find out what's required.

    Answer by mom2aspclboy at 8:20 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

  • You're best bet is to consult a lawyer. You will need to get him to agree to it or prove that he is a harmful parent.

    Answer by Leigh519121 at 9:28 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

  • I would take to a lawyer. If he is unfit, then the boys do not need to be around him right now.

    Answer by jshimmy at 10:02 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

  • Talk to a lawyer. Every state has different laws pertaining to parental rights and what exactly needs to be done to remove them.

    Answer by mag12305cmg at 12:24 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.