I'm really confused about teaching him how to talk...

The more I think about it the more difficult it seems. My kid is 2 and is still babbling 85% of the time. Any tips on how to teach him the most difficult language on earth?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:46 PM on Sep. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• tell ur pediatrician he may need speech therapy my 4yr old gets help with same thing. he was still babbling @ 3 he has showed big improvement since he got help
    BellaDiamond

Answer by BellaDiamond at 7:49 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I just talk all the time to her. If she points out something (a car) I say, look at that blue car. It has 4 windows and 4 tires. Just keep talking like an adult and he will respond.

My nephew didn't talk much until he was almost 4. He just didn't want to. It got to the point where he would point at something and they told him that he would have to say it or he wouldn't get it.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 7:50 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Teacher here and mother to a dd with speech delay!!!Its not difficult :) Unless he has a speech issue.

Kids learn language from hearing us talk. So TALK! READ!!! He will get it!

Does he say ANY words at all? If not I might start thinking about looking into speech therapy...to the kids its play time, to the parents its learning time...and most areas states offer totally free programs.

If you are concerned in a few more months as his pediatrician.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 7:50 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Yeah, READ TO HIM. Every day for atleast 20 minutes. Keep talking to him CORRECTLY. Don't use baby talk, talk to him like you would talk to another adult. When he points to something, tell him the correct word for the item. Do NOT let him whine, grunt, etc. Both of my nieces, didn't say anything until they were over 2 years old. They both are amazing talkers now. Give it a little time. Mention it to the doctor the next time you are there.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:53 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I literally read @ least 3 stories to my DS/day from the day he was born....so READ, READ, READ. I'm also a babbler and always talking...so I would just talk talk talk to him. He was talking full sentences @ 2 and I have amazing convo with him at 2 1/2. Reading will not only help him withlanguage but will encourage to love the act as well.
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 8:05 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• you might need to get is ears checked by a specialist all the 2/3 yr olds ive seen that arent talking have "glue" ears or some other problem that can be fixed and they start talking very soon after bc they cant hear properly so they cant talk this happened to my bil and hes like 7 son still cant talk right bc they caught it late but he is smart can write and draw and everything well just talking is really behind
    Kre10

Answer by Kre10 at 8:12 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• i agree with readin to him, talkin to him and have ped check him out
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 8:39 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• My kid is just over 3 and still does a lot of babble. He's been through speech therapy (recommended by his Pediatrician) which did little good at all. He will talk when he wants to if he has something to say and little by little he does. I've heard several stories of kids who start talking "later" and you would never guess they didn't talk right away. So with the encouragement of others I'm not worried about my little guy. In fact, we had guests this past week for a few days and he said things I'd NEVER heard him say... like a FULL sentence... "Whatcha doin' mama?" Made me smile REALLY big!!!
    Anonymous