Is anyone else noticing...?

that tylenol and ibuprofen do not work so well anymore? My kids are hardly ever sick, but my son woke up with a headache (he is only 4) then later started running a fever in the 103.2 range. I gave him tylenol. That brought the fever down just slightly and barely took the edge off of the headache in a 3 hour period. So I gave him IB 3 hours after tylenol. Its helped more than tylenol did, but I remember ty and ib bringing fevers down to at least a 99 if not back to normal. Even after 30 minutes and an hour of taking meds his fever is still at 101.5. He is laying down and just covered in a medium thickness blanket. The last 3 or so times my kids have gotten sick (1 time each in a year) their fevers do not come down like they used to. Is that just because they are older? Its frusterating!

ABusyBee

Asked by ABusyBee at 7:47 PM on Sep. 30, 2010 in Health

• Well for myself... I've noticed that my headaches hardly ever go away when i take ibuprofen or tylenol. Not sure if they are cheating us, or maybe it's just me.
    Mskixxalot

Answer by Mskixxalot at 8:10 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I don't think it's the Tylenol or Ibuprofen, I think it is just the fact that the viruses kids are getting are stronger and take more time to run their course.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:48 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• are you adjusting the dose to their weight? and it also depends on what is causing the fever. i was always told to keep them cool when they have a fever though.... that will help too (even cool compresses help break it faster)
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:10 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I've noticed this as well. I think it's possibly due to stronger diseases. Tylenol's the only thing I can take due to anti-inflammatory med allergies so I try my hardest to deal with pains and use it as as very last resort.
    Cenchan

Answer by Cenchan at 8:53 PM on Sep. 30, 2010