do you trust ER thermometers?

Like, their ear ones? My sons temp at home orally was 104.2 and less than 2o mins later the ER nurse zaps his ear real quick and is like "oh, at least you don't have a fever! It's 97 something!" WTF?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 7:51 PM on Sep. 30, 2010 in Kids' Health

• ive had a problem with er thermometers.... my dd rectal said 105 i took her to the er and the ear one said 99. i called bs on them and told them to take it rectally and sure enough mine at home was correct. and 2 minutes later my dd started seizing because temp was so high
    JerzisMommy

Answer by JerzisMommy at 4:07 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Kids temperatures can jump up and down really fast. If his temperature really was 104 he would have been really, really sick and I can't imagine it would go to 97 that fast. I would be questioning the thermometer at home, not the hospitals.
    Leigh519121

Answer by Leigh519121 at 8:01 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• if his fever was 104 they wouldn't have even needed to check his temp to see he had a fever. are you sure his fever didn't break during that time (but it probably wasn't that high imo). ear temp. are more reliable than oral though because the kids like to fiddle with the oral ones and it's hard to get a correct reading for kids orally
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 7:55 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• If you ever doubt, ask them to do it again. I trust them since they are calibrated regularly.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 7:56 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I would have asked them to do it orally...as well.
    SultryLadyBug

Answer by SultryLadyBug at 8:53 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I trust the ER ones....it's the "home" ones I don't trust.
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 6:53 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Our ER uses the ones that you slide right over the forehead and it gives them a read. I am sure the hospital would not use something that did not work. I have to trust them to take care of my child or I would not take them there. So, I would trust what they say. If you are in doubt you can ask them to take it again and explain why you are asking. That is what I would do. On occasion, I have had a nurse that I did not care for and I have always talked to the hospital about it and they found someone else for me.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 12:35 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• my ER uses temporal as well, so I bought one - much easier!!
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 12:20 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• There's also the possibility that his temperature dropped during the car ride to the ER.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 10:53 AM on Oct. 25, 2010