labor question

so what does it actually feel like to be in labor? i have been sooo sore "down there" in the pelvic area as in pressure and heavyness. the baby has been head down for about 2 months now and the pressure is just shooting pains along with the back pain. but as far as contractions i know it's where ur stomach gets tight and u have like mestural cramps but i mean this is all new to me. what's another best way to describe a contraction? my stomach stays hard because i'm due in 4 more weeks just where she's so big.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:38 PM on Oct. 23, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Ok it sounds like Braxton Hicks but when its actullay labor it will feel like 10 x's worse.I describe contractions as a bus running you over not really but you will know . Good luck
    Dorriansmom1984

Answer by Dorriansmom1984 at 12:59 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Before I went into labor with my son I felt no braxton hicks contractions what-so-ever. I went to a doctors visit and while the dr. was examining me she told me that I was having a contraction, and I had no idea, I couldn't even feel it. When I finally was going into labor I felt all of the pains in my back, i had back labor, so you might start feeling either tightening of your uterus and stomach muscles, or some back pain, that starts out feeling like period pain and then starts feeling like someone is stabbing you in the back. Everyone's labor is different, believe me you'll know when you are in labor! Good luCk!
    ChristinaJ10108

Answer by ChristinaJ10108 at 1:11 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• like menstral cramps but a 100 time worse
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 1:28 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Each person has a different feeling so it's impossible to explain it to someone else. It will only be "painful" if you worry or think it will be. I had a wonderful labor that was 24 hours long and had no pain whatsoever. It was intense but I did hypnobirthing and had a great doula
    llaheyebba

Answer by llaheyebba at 1:34 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Sorry maybe to be a little bit gross....but to me its always kinda felt like that really bad lower tummy ache you have when you need to go to the bathroom... and then it gets worse and worse and worse... I have been induced with all mine so it always felt like one HUGE contraction that never stopped for me and there was no break in between.... It hurts really really really REALLY bad but when you have your baby there its worth it!!
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 1:36 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• At first they are like small cramps and have no pattern to them (you may not even notice them). As you progress the cramps will become closer together in a more pattern like time frame. When they are around 5 minutes apart you need to call the hospital to let them know you are on your way and then leave. When you get there they will check you,give you a room and an IV, and hook you up to a monitor. The machine will let them now how baby and you are doing and how well labor is going. The cramps will continue to grow stronger and closer together and at some point your water will break (either naturally or with a doctors help). (continued)
    imtheonlysane1

Answer by imtheonlysane1 at 1:47 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• After your water breaks your contractions will become much more severe and at times seem unbearable. Now is the time for the epidural or to begin your breathing techniques, At some point you will feel a very strong desire to push. At this point your contractions will be extremely strong and painful. Just keep in mind that this also means your baby is almost here! When they tell you to push do so as hard as you can (push towards your bottom), you have to push through the pain. It can take a few minutes at this point or a lot longer it all depends on baby. After your babies head comes out they will tell you to stop pushing and they will clean out the mouth and nose. (continued)
    imtheonlysane1

Answer by imtheonlysane1 at 1:48 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• They will then tell you to push again and you will feel a huge sense of relief. Now in that instant all the pain is gone and you get to see your baby for the first time! They will then take the baby and push and pull the rest of the "junk" out of you (don't look it is pretty gross LOL). They will also examine you to see if you need stitches. After all that is done they will move you to your room and then come in every so often to push on your belly (not fun). IMO if you go in there knowing how bad it will hurt and telling yourself that it is going to be very painful but you can do it then it will not seem AS bad because you know it is coming. Good luck!
    imtheonlysane1

• It's a really sharp pain that will make you want to scream. You will know when you start having them. Good luck. Sorry, I don't want to scare you. It actually wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but to be honest, it wasn't any fun either. Just keep in mind the end result and you will get through it, I promise!!
    FertMert

Answer by FertMert at 3:59 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• yeah you will have contractions that come every 5 mintues and they hurt woser then a cramp and hurt real bad. you will screm if you have real strong contractions and your not going to be comfortable at all. most of all you will know when your having them and also know by your water breaking or just could have contractions. don't let this scare you. because in the end it will be al worth it when you see your little one.
    MissMandy25

Answer by MissMandy25 at 7:43 PM on Oct. 23, 2008