needs advice on moving....

Oook... So I need some help. My Husband & I are moving to Virginia in Dec. the same month I'm due. This move we are having the military move us, but i've heard that we have to pack everything, but then i've heard "don't pack anything, they pack it" see I'm at a lost. Any advice????

Chelsdavis

Asked by Chelsdavis at 8:19 PM on Sep. 30, 2010 in Home & Garden

• They pack it normally. At least that's how it works with my sister's DH.
    mygirlpaige

Answer by mygirlpaige at 8:26 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Do you have any friends that have moved with the military? I would ask them what they had to do.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 8:26 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• They do usually pack it...but you need to keep an eye on them. They aren't the best movers or packers at times.
    Leigh519121

Answer by Leigh519121 at 8:28 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Actually, what everyone who moves, military or civilian, needs to do is hire my best friend. She can have everything packed in about a day and have your house totally set up by the time the last box is brought in. I'm serious. She is simply amazing.

Good luck on the move. Hope everything goes smoothly.

Military or not, I would keep an eye on those packing your things. Movers are just doing a job. Your special things aren't special to them. I haven't had experience with the military, but I have had others (unfortunately not my best friend, she was unavailable) help us pack and move. *frown*
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 8:34 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• they pack it unless you specifically request that they just pick it up. All you need to do is separate everything that you do not want packed and put it in another room (we usually use a bathroom) and write do not pack on the door. Every moving company has their own set of rules as to what they will and will not take...most stuff can go...nothing flammable or perishable.
    Where in VA are you moving? We just PCS'd to Langley at the end of July :) let me know if you have anymore questions...I am starting to become a pro at the military moving thing :)
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 8:37 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• They pack everything, however, like the others have said, watch them. I normally packed the things that I thought were the most important myself. You can go ahead and group some things together if you want. And make sure to take pictures of couches, entertainment centers, lamps, (anything that would cost more than $100 to replace). If for some reason, it gets lost or damaged in shipping, you will need pictures of your items (make sure you have the pictures dated a few days before the movers pack everything) and try to locate the receipts for your items. I personally have not had bad luck with movers but we have had friends who lost about $1000 worth of stuff due to negligent movers.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:45 PM on Sep. 30, 2010