Constipation in pregnancy.

Really embarassing subject but OH WELL. I go probably once a week... I'm pregnant... It's really hard stool... and it's really hard to get out.. and sometimes it hurts (which could mean fissures have developed.?) How is a pregnant woman supposed to handle constipation? I know that fiber and fruits/vegetables in your diet help...

Mskixxalot

Asked by Mskixxalot at 8:26 PM on Sep. 30, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Take Metamucil! I got the berry flavor and it worked SO well for me!
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 8:32 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• your allowed to take a natural stool softner called colace. ask your DR about it. they actually work pretty well too.
    but definatly eat things with fiber. when i was prego, whole wheat pancakes always worked for me! i would eat them and within an hour be ready to go. lol :)
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 8:32 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• colace is safe to take during pregnancy also ask dr to switch prenatal vitamin see if you can get a chewable sometimes the prenatals can cause constipation
    loomis6

Answer by loomis6 at 10:52 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• my dr gave me a list of always safe meds and heres the ones listed under constipation. for mild you can take Colace, Fibercon, Metamucil, and Citrucel. also, it never hurts to stock up on prunes :)
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:57 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• When I was pregnant, I was honestly constipated for almost two weeks!! Talk about being filled up..especially being over 7 months preggo!! Do u exercise or move any? Just call up your Doc for a safe supplement..just dont use laxatives! I think there is a stool softener you could try..
    Ella_Bella20

Answer by Ella_Bella20 at 12:17 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Drink lots and lots of water, get a stool softener and eat some prunes
    Sheleekieije

Answer by Sheleekieije at 12:19 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I heard colace works really good.
    ladyambition

Answer by ladyambition at 9:31 PM on Oct. 1, 2010