how do i stop my toddler from wanting to much candy?

lefty_69

Asked by lefty_69 at 8:38 PM on Sep. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Don't keep it in the house or with you. Then when they ask you can tell them there are none. Kids are going to want candy if its available. Its natural, so just don't keep it around! Sugar is VERY addictive!
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 8:46 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• introduce some kind of fruit they will love. such as grapes or manadrine oranges. my daughter LOVES those and now she bugs me about those not candy :)
    MamaHardy2008

Answer by MamaHardy2008 at 8:50 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• there goin to want it just cause its every where..but if they do ask..i give mine sugar free..an only 2 a day..if they want more i just say no an go on bout my business..
    FreeSpriT4eva

Answer by FreeSpriT4eva at 8:40 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Stop giving it to him. I did not give my DD any candy until she was 4 years old. She had cake on her birthday & an occasional ice cream. They get used to it & that's all they end up wanting. You are going to have ot pull some tough love routines & just go cold turkey. When he stops being used to having candy all the time, he'll stop wanting it so much.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:40 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Don't give it..my 2 1/2 yo DS has NEVER had any..
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 8:46 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I was going to say a mix of what Mom_2_cuties and MamaHardy2008 said. 1) Don't keep candy in the house and 2) Each time he asks for candy, offer fruit. If he says 'no' say 'well, that's what you're getting, take it or leave it'. You are the parent, he is the child. At that age the only reason he can get candy is either through accidental finding a stash or you or someone else gives it to him.
    Cenchan

Answer by Cenchan at 10:44 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Stop offering it. At this age they should not be eating candy anyway
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 12:25 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• give them fruit and stop offering it
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 12:39 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• just limit opportunity for them to see it. try offering fruit instead. yes, kids aren't suposed to have candy at this age, but honestly, does anyone seriously abide by that?!...maybe try a sugar free candy...or if you just want them to get off the candy kick, give them some sugar free baking choclate (like the chocolate bark)..it tastes horrible..good luck!
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 9:24 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• offer something else. We have healthy organic fruit bars or fresh fruit and my son will always eat that. Although if he sees us eating junk he wants some, but anything we hand him will usually make him happy.
    lasombrs

Answer by lasombrs at 11:34 AM on Oct. 1, 2010