Does your 3 yr old have imaginary friends?

Just curious. Lately my daughter has started talking to people who aren't actually there. Wanted to make sure thats a normal thing.

destinee_115

Asked by destinee_115 at 12:52 PM on Oct. 23, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Yes, very normal. In fact when my 5 year old was 3 one of the questions the doctor asked on her check up was did I notice any imaginary friends, and she explained it as a creative development in most kids and is very normal.( she had like 5 imaginary friends) When she started kindergarten she pretty much forgot all about them, but it was cute while it lasted.
    Izzyscrazymom

Answer by Izzyscrazymom at 1:03 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Yeah, it is normal. Kids about this age start pretending more. I know my daughter is 3 and does the same thing. And I remember having imaginary friends when I was a little kid too.
    evilabbysmom

Answer by evilabbysmom at 12:54 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I don't know that this counts as imaginary friends or not but my son pretends to play withhis favorite movie and tv characters. The other day, I heard him just talking a mile a minute while I was in the o ther room so I asked who are you talking to? He told me Diego and returned to his conversation. A few minutes later, I saw his diego toy on the kitchen table and I asked if he was talking to the doll. He rolled his eyes and said No mom, not THAT diego! It was hilarious.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 12:56 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I had 3 when I was around that age. I even remember thier names. Beego, Bodid and Dainty! LOL! I have no recollection of what I "did" with them, but I do remember playing with them.
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 12:58 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• My 3 year old has an imaginary pet tiger that follows him around the house. I don't know why it's a tiger or why he only exists in our house, but everyone I've talked to has said that it's a perfectly normal behavior for that age.
    angiemgiu

Answer by angiemgiu at 1:53 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Mine do not, but they do make their dolls talk while playing with the dollhouse or to themselves.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 2:58 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• haha my daughters 4 and she does to..but she pretends shes talkin to the kids in her preschool class..or to tv characters too..its hilarious sometimes!! she sits on the trampoline and just goes on and on tlakin to them forever!! its awesome!! lol
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 5:06 PM on Oct. 23, 2008