what do u do when ur two year old is afriad of his shadow?

jmama090708

Asked by jmama090708 at 8:44 PM on Sep. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think its a phase. My ds went through it and my dd is going through it now (she's 3 though)
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 8:44 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Maybe try showing him the begining of Peter Pan, when he's trying to catch and sew his shadow back on. You could also make his shadow by getting a big piece of black paper, outlining your child, cut it out and let him draw on his face and clothes and such, so it won't be so scary. Good Luck!
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 9:24 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• what is about his shadow that he afraid of...if u give me a lil more detail then i coulld answer it better
    FreeSpriT4eva

Answer by FreeSpriT4eva at 10:20 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Have you tried playing shadow puppets? Got him involved and holding things up in front of the light so he can see how it casts a shadow. Have him hold up things in front of the light and you go demonstrate how objects which block light cast shadows? Get him used to that first and see how he does then slowly introduce him to shadows outside for the next 'display'. Otherwise, yeah, if Peter pan doesn't work, it might just take a little patience and waiting it out.
    Cenchan

Answer by Cenchan at 10:32 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• talk to him about. let him know its not gonnna hurt him
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 12:38 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I would show him the shadows of different items, maybe make shadow puppets, show him how his shadow goes away in the light etc. Maybe if you explain it good to him it will take some of the mystery and scarryness out of it for him.
    lasombrs

Answer by lasombrs at 11:32 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• my daughter actually went through that when she was 2, she was very scared that her shadow was following her. I just told her that her shadow loves her and showed her how to make it dance.....now she sits and talks to her shadow but i see it that atleast shes not afraid of it anymore. lol.
    ajncjsmommy13

Answer by ajncjsmommy13 at 9:10 PM on Oct. 1, 2010