How do I get my 4 yr old son autistic son to drink from a sippy cup?

Ok I have bought several types of sippy cups and nothing. So I stopped trying but recently I started it up again. And before I even try to give him the sippy cup to hold he makes this look on his face then he does the gag reflex. And of course after that he vomits. So I leave him alone. I had him touch the tips of them all but nothing. Then I asked the pcp why is he only want the bottle he said," he might be using it as a comfort like a pacifier." And not to push him. But I would like for him to try it maybe he might like it too.

mizzsonia

Asked by mizzsonia at 1:00 PM on Oct. 23, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Have you tried an open top cup? My daughter puts her food in her cup so, she is on a sippy cup. Have you tried giving him a little something as a reward for drinking out of the sippy cup? That is sometimes how they do it behavioral therapy. What about putting only water in the bottle and something he likes in the sippy cup? I wish I could help more. Good luck.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 1:53 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I tried everything. I put water in his bottle and strawberry milk in the sippy cup. And nothing. I bought this one sippy cup that has this attachment to it without any type of nipple, or anything just a cover with an opening. Now today the teacher tells me to start getting him on a sippy cup or straw. Im getting so mad. Ive tried and I told them but they dont listen. I hate his new school they dont help with nothing.
    mizzsonia

Answer by mizzsonia at 2:46 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Do they not allow an open cup? How old is he? Can he stay home one mroe year?
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 2:55 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• So he doesn't like the straw top sippy cups either? What about nubby brand sippy cups? They have a soft tip like a bottle and they are supposed to be a transition cup between a bottle and sippy cup. Target has them. You could also try the cups with the handles that take a bottle top and then transition to the sippy top so it is only changing one thing. I'm sorry you are having such a hard time with this, but keep trying.
    oregonmom22

Answer by oregonmom22 at 3:55 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Ok for TXdanielly my son has been in special ed class since last year the other school was trying with him he was getting the hang of it but then we moved and now he is at this school. which dont have alot of one on one with kids. im not going to take my son out of school because the sippy cup thats just stupid to even say really. I placed him in the schools to learn more not be at home to learn less. Dumb Dumb Dumb. Do you even have any kids who have autism?

And Iike I said I've tried all types of sippy cups. He isn't getting it cause when he was checked last year to verify his autism they told me he was in the age group of 4mths-8mths. But I'll keep trying to get him into his sippy cup. At least I got him potty trained.
    mizzsonia

Answer by mizzsonia at 8:29 PM on Oct. 23, 2008