When did your kids start to shower on their own?

jshimmy

Asked by jshimmy at 8:52 PM on Sep. 30, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• around 6
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 8:53 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• not sure, but my girls are 5 and 2.5 they takes baths together I clean them and wash their hair then I let them play by themselves for a while. I make them leave the door open though because of the 2.5 year old. I put the soap on a spong and they wash themselves, but I wash their hair. My 5 year old doesn't even get all her hair wet so I know she wouldn't be able to wash it. My neighbor however said her daughter now 7 has been taking a bath on her own since she was 4 even washing her own hair. I don't see how a 4 year old can wash their own hair though when my 5 year old can't, but maybe I don't know lol
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 8:56 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• my start taking baths on their own by 1 1/2..but my last 2 cant take showers cause of sensory issues with their ears
    FreeSpriT4eva

Answer by FreeSpriT4eva at 8:59 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• My boys are 4 and 6 and take showers every morning and my 6 yr old still has a hard time washing his hair becuase it is SO thick he has a hard time throughly cleaning and rinsing it but other wise he bathes himself. My 4 year old is the same.
    Neon1980

Answer by Neon1980 at 9:03 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I think she was 4, but i would sit in the bathroom with her & show her what to do. By the time she was 5, she could shower easily on her own but, i would hear the occasional scream with soap in her eyes. So, i would giver her a rag & place it on the egde of the tub so she can dry her eyes off if she happens to get them all soapy. I always leave the door open too. It's so cute to hear her singing in the shower.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:15 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• All boys here. Short hair, almost shaved. 2 middle ones are 7 and 3. Learnrd to do it when he was 5. Not terribly hard. I had to tell him to tight ! Close your eyes.! He gets a kick out of washing his brothers hair. Their pretty independent for littles.
    stepho345

Answer by stepho345 at 9:41 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• my son is almost 6 and I wash him down and he hangs out in the shower for awhile and gets himself out but still wants help getting dressed because he says " the water made his skin sticky" lol, But now that he is growing increasingly modest I will make more of an effort to tell him how to take care of his own washing
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 11:18 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• My son started around 7 my daughter still needs help she is 3 1/2
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 11:52 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• By 4 they washed themselves, but need help "rinsing". Basicaly I just did a final rinse to make sure they did a good job getting all of the soap and conditioner off.

By 5-6 they can do it all on their own.

12 - 14 son had a set back with cleanliness.... needing basic reminders about washing and rinsing well.
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 12:12 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• "my start taking baths on their own by 1 1/2..but my last 2 cant take showers cause of sensory issues with their ears "

I hope at the very least they were supervised!!!!

I mean sure my daughter can get in the tub by herself, I still check the water for her though and stay in the room and keep my eyes on her.. you know how my children drown at that age from being unsupervised!!!!????!!!
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:29 AM on Oct. 1, 2010