Do you spank?

I was watching a show this morning and they were arguing pros and cons on spanking vs non-spanking. Just wanted to know your opinions! I do a combination of time-outs and spanking. So just curious what other mommies do.

adoptivemommy24

Asked by adoptivemommy24 at 1:04 PM on Oct. 23, 2008 in General Parenting

• I spank.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 1:05 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• My kids are now 28 & 26, but yes I did spank when they were young. I didn't do it past the age of 4, and only with their pants on. Probably only a handful of times. It was quick and to the point. Point being "I'm the parent, pay attention to what I'm telling you", rather than inflicting pain.
    I am one of 8 kids myself and we were never spanked. To this day, we have all said we wished our parents spanked us, we'd have been better off for it.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 1:06 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I have spanked but as a last resort but sometimes a lil swat on the bottom lets them know you say what you mean & you mean what you say,my dd is 8 now so the spankings are very few & far between, but if need be ~ yes i would swat her behind.
    tntornado45

Answer by tntornado45 at 1:10 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I think a combination of both spanking and non-spanking disciplines does the job.

Answer by louise2 at 1:15 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• yes, My 3 year old gets a warning, then time out then a spanking.. and it all depends on what the is doing wrong.. sometimes the time out does it. Other times it takes more than one pop on the hiney to get my point across.. that boy is hard headed.. like his daddy!
    VictinaG

Answer by VictinaG at 1:16 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I swat (on the butt)...one good swat to get thier attention. But right now my 5 year old responds better to the reward system we set up, each day she has goals to meet at the end of the week if she meets the goals she get a reward. That seems to be working the best. But if let's say she is in the parking lot of a store and throws herself on the ground near moving cars, I will not hesitate to grab her and give her a big swat..but at this point she knows better. My 7 month old is too young for spankings or swats..lol!
    Izzyscrazymom

Answer by Izzyscrazymom at 1:17 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• combo: spanking, time outs, doing chores, writing sentences, etc.

Doing Chores: is doing something that is not normally expected out of them.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 1:19 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I have never really been a big spanker but I used to give my girls a little swat on the behind once in a while. Until my youngest told me I didn't know how to spank, only daddy knew how to spank. She tells him now that it doesn't bother her if he spanks her either. Now it is time to really get rough with restrictions on cell phones, internet access and hanging out with friends. lol...
    Anonymous

• I am glad that it sounds like we are on the same page. I dont like to spank them, but if they need it, they need it! My favorite thing ever (its funny, but sad) is to go to the grocery store and watch the parents who dont believe in discipline. You know... the ones that count.... 1, 2, 2 1/2, 2 3/4, 2 15/16ths....
    I love them! Those kiddos know their parents are going to keep counting all day long!
    adoptivemommy24

Answer by adoptivemommy24 at 1:21 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I use different forms of discipline depending on the situation, I spank, put them in the corner, ground or wash their mouths out with soap.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 1:26 PM on Oct. 23, 2008