When should you start a baby on vitamin D milk?

I was wondering when I should start my daughter on vitamin D milk. I want to have her on it completely by the time she is 1 yrs. old because I will be off WIC and formula is expensive. So I would rather her be off it completely by that time.

PureKrz21

Asked by PureKrz21 at 1:09 PM on Oct. 23, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You should start right around a year old. That's when the formula stops being enough fatty material for you child. However, starting too early can overwork the kidneys and cause them to bleed. If your little one is any younger then 10-10 1/2 month, I'd talk to the doctor, and monitor diapers for even the slightest hint of pink or red.
    cskomk0106

Answer by cskomk0106 at 1:15 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I have read, that the switch should occur at one year old. I waited until my sons birthdays to make the switch...if your baby is close....it should be ok.
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 1:11 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• A year old is around the age they say it is okay to start milk and eggs. I could be wrong though, my oldest if 5 years old and my youngest is 7 months..I would ask your doctor but I am pretty sure it is a year, also you can ask the health department because they will only give you coupons for what they recommend giving the child at each stage.
    Izzyscrazymom

Answer by Izzyscrazymom at 1:12 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I was going to origanilly gonna wait till my baby was one years old but his old fashiioned Grandfather started giving my son regular milk at 9 months. He was a little on the chunky side and I think it was because he started regular milk so soon but he was perfectly fine with the change. It even helped him sleep better at night.
    RyansMom0530

Answer by RyansMom0530 at 1:25 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• You should start giving them right around a year but I would start with 2% and go up because I gave my son vitamine D and he had Diarea for 2 days
    Duwanesmommy

Answer by Duwanesmommy at 1:42 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Talk to your doctor about it. I started switching my son at 1 year. The reason why you give formula until one year is because it has more fat and calories than cow milk. You need to give whole milk until age 2 because the fat in it promotes brain development, so you don't want to skimp.
    degsyuna

Answer by degsyuna at 1:53 PM on Oct. 23, 2008