Please help! My 2.5-year old is a bully

My son is two and a half and up until his siter was born 6 months ago, he was an angel. I dont know if the change of behavior stemmed from his little sister being born ( I am a sahm and it was just me and him for two years) or the fact that he turned two, or the combination. He is extrememly spirited, has way too much energy, and 75% of the time, he is a loving, sweet boy. When he is around other kids, he turns into a bully. He hits, doesnt want to share, dumps or breaks their toys and laughs, and I dont know what to do or where this came from. I have put him in time out, taken away toys, talked to him continuiosly about his behavior and no change. He is an agressive child by nature, so there is no way i would speak as itonly feds into the aggression and would make him worse. Any other suggestion please? I am frusterated and want to cry as it is getting embarrassing in public.

MomofDom21

Asked by MomofDom21 at 9:26 PM on Sep. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have to say he's kind of like a typical two and half year old boy. He's probably reacting to having the baby around and so his behavior is his way of expressing things even if he can't outright say so. The time you probably have spent with him is now being used to take care of the needs of the baby.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 9:30 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Honestly I would talk to your doctor. And bless you for caring and wanting this to change. My son is 21 months and is a sweet natured boy but a little meek. He is easily bullied and I can't believe how many times I have had to intervene because the bullying kid's parent is nowhere to be found or doesn't see a problem with their kid's aggressive behavior towards littler kids. Makes me crazy!
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 9:31 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Well, i think he's acting two. I wouldn't worry too much about it. I would suggest teaching him appropriate ways to interact with others though. Don't put up with that kind of behavior.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 10:02 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Now is time to introduce spanking and explain to him that you will not allow him to act that way.
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 12:36 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• My son is getting to be the same way. I have tried the ignore it and hope he stops acting out for attention thing, but I'm covered in brusies and he thinks its great to take my glasses and try to smash them on the floor. Time outs work for us at least for the rest of the day. I'm thinking its partly his age to though. I think my son just cant get it that its wrong yet.
    lasombrs

Answer by lasombrs at 11:31 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• FROM POSTER-I wont spank. I didnt want to get into my reasons and debate because everyone is entitled to their own styleof parenting, but I have studied spanking ( I am fisnishing a phd in psychology) and there are multiple studies that have determined if you spank a child that is already displaying aggressive behaviors, they will become more aggressive. Spanking my son would be a HUGE mistake. We actually made good progress today. I found out that he gets gets aggressive when older kids wont let him play. He is 2.5 but only wants to play with 4 or 5 years olds, unless there is only children his age around and then he will settle. When the older kids dont want the "baby: around, he gets frusterated and displays his anger by antagonizing the kids, hence why he is always trying to bully bigger kids. He doesnt ever go near smaller children because hs has no interest inthem. Where do I go from here?
    MomofDom21

Comment by MomofDom21 (original poster) at 1:49 AM on Oct. 2, 2010