Would You Cancel Service w/ A Company If You Found Out They Give Money to Political Groups or Agencies You're Against?

I received an e-mail from an organization I belong to, and it revealed that certain companies give money to things I am against. I am not going to be using those companies anymore, but I wonder if other people are the same way. Do you go out of your way to make sure businesses you give your money to don't put it in things you don't like, or do/would you just cancel service if you found out from someone else?

NightPhoenix

Asked by NightPhoenix at 9:38 PM on Sep. 30, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• It's a choice we all have them.. So if they choose a different side it would not bother me at all.. I vote my way and no one can change that..
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 9:42 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• There was a thing going around years ago that JIF peanut butter gave money to satanic cults. Seriously. =P Don't believe everything you get in an email. Just because it in writing doesn't mean its true. And no... I would probably not change my consuming habits. If a company is offering me the best deal, isn't breaking any laws to do so, and is giving me a quality product - I am not going to get chose a lesser quality and/or more expensive product from another company just because I don't agree with first companies's causes.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 9:46 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• No. Those companies have the right to support whomever they want. I take that back, if it's "bad" enough and I don't really need that product or shop at that store, I might. But it would have to be confirmed for me to take that step, not just something I read in an email.
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 9:55 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Yes and I have done so, recently...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 9:57 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• added to my above comment /The money I pay them for their products, can be used to enable those I do NOT wish to support...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 9:59 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• It depends on the circumstance. I live in a small town and there aren't a lot of choices. I don't like Walmart or what it stands for, but as a parent of a small child, with only a moderate income, I can't afford to drive an hour to go to Target every time I need diapers or socks or contact lens solution. My political activism is limited by how it affects my family's welfare I guess. And I agree with the others, I don't believe dumb crap I get in emails andI certainly don't act on any of it unless I have personally researched it myself.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 10:01 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Depends. I will never do business with AARP due to their endorsement of Obamacare but there are other options available. My local cable company on the other hand is the only one in the area and if they endorsed an action of person I opposed my options would be to suck it up or go without cable.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 10:06 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I have before and I would do so again. I don't do it because of something I see in an email. It is usually something I have read about in an article or other reliable source. I also don't provide any "support" to entertainers..movie stars and such that choose to do silly things such as call the tea partiers a bunch of racists..or do dumb things like Mel Gibson..I used to really enjoy his movies.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:07 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• ***or not of
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 10:07 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Yes. I won't eat domino's pizza, and I tried to boycott Nestle but they friggin own everything.
    Saya

Answer by Saya at 10:08 PM on Sep. 30, 2010