How do I go about getting involved with his family when they don't respect me?

Okay so here is the story. So when I found out that I was pregnant. My fiance of 2 years at the time didn't want anything to do with me. SO he didn't help. His family was all for him leaving me. So when he finally decided to stay with me they started a lot of drama. Now almost 2 years later I want to get married. At first he said that it was because I didn't have job. So I got one. And now he is saying it's because I don't want our daughter to have anything to do with his family. So in order for him to marry me, I pretty much have to do what he wants. And this is how he wants everything. He will not compromise anything at all for me. They don't respect me and I don't feel right around them. His family treats me like I am dirt. Because I was raised right. And he wants me to share our daughter with them in order for us to get married, and because he knows that's what I want. What do I do? Is there anything anyone can say?

sexxylilmama203

Asked by sexxylilmama203 at 9:38 PM on Sep. 30, 2010 in Relationships

• if he isnt willing to compromise, or he is using your wants only to get what he wants, thats not a very nice man. and if he consistently sides with his family over you, his future wife, then personally i wouldnt want to continue with him. especially when you two have a child together, he is supposed to be all for you and the baby without stipulations. good luck...
    americanadian25

Answer by americanadian25 at 10:48 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Oy, that's a tough one. Personally, I'd say there's nothing holding you to having to get involved with his family and it's really too bad he uses your daughter as means to manipulate you. With that said, there's also nothing holding you back from leaving him and finding someone better for you and your little girl since you aren't married to him. I know it sounds like you really want to patch things up with everyone involved but it sounds like that's not going to happen. Think about it: if he's going to manipulate you now and his family treats you like dirt, what are you expecting once you do get married? Marriage isn't a magic wand that makes everything roses and sunshine. If it's hell now, it's going to be hell later, but you have the unique opportunity of being able to walk away from that hell and find something better if you so choose. Good luck.
    Cenchan

Answer by Cenchan at 10:59 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Whatever you do, DO NOT marry that guy. He will only make you miserable. Also, divorce is expensive.
    FroggyFeet

Answer by FroggyFeet at 11:33 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Why would you want to be involved if they don't respect you. I would walk away now.
    Leigh519121

Answer by Leigh519121 at 1:00 AM on Oct. 1, 2010