for those of you who work or are looking for work

Fortunately (or unfortunately depending on how you look at it) I work FT and haven't had any problem with the economy (Knock on wood). I keep hearing that its impossible to find a job. My husband has been playing mr. mom, by choice, for 2 years and we're thinking its time for him to go back to work. He is well educated and I'm wondering if he is going to have serious problems finding work. I'd like to hear from other educated ppl and their success/failures with finding a job. How long have you been looking, how many interviews?

Mel_in_PHX

Asked by Mel_in_PHX at 9:51 PM on Sep. 30, 2010 in Money & Work

• I agree with Jazz - it does depend on a lot of things that have nothing to do with the economy. My husband and I both work, indirectly, for the government. We have GREAT job security - no matter how bad the economy is, the water company and the local community college are not going out of business. Given that I was in the financial industry and was laid off twice in 3 years, I will take the pay cut in exchange for a stable, union job that does not depend on people's spending or investments.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 10:27 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• When I was looking nearly 4 years ago, It took me 3 months to land a temp job that turned into a perm one. I live in a small town where everyone complains about no jobs, but I have a degree and didn't have too much trouble at all. I interviewed a couple of other places too, but I think I was overqualified for most of them.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 9:55 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I have a bachelor's degree and over eight years of expereince in my field. I was laid of in 2008 when the recession (depression) hit our industry very hard. I was off work for two years CONSTANTLY looking for work.......and I live in a major city. There was just nothing out there. He may have a bit of a hard time. It is getting better now though, but now its all about who you know. Networking is key to getting a job these days. I'm glad you haven't been effected by these hard times.
    Indyk

Answer by Indyk at 9:59 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I'm sorry to hear that Indyk! I know that I'm very fortunate. Actually, the company where I worked for 5+ years relocated and I didn't accept the relocation package in 2008 but I was hired with my current company before they moved. Seriously, it was dumb luck. I was way under-qualified and I never understood why they hired me. I heard it was because they wanted someone without a reputation in the industry. Whatever, it worked for me! I hope you get on your feet soon!
    Mel_in_PHX

Comment by Mel_in_PHX (original poster) at 10:03 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• It depends on the area you live in, the area of work he is seeking, and what type of education he has aquired.
    In the Northern Indiana, Central/Southern Michigan area the types of jobs most people are looking for don't exist anymore. The Auto and the RV industry have all but capsized and the millions of workers that worked in those industries have no other options there. Which means the retail, fast food, and other low end jobs are being sucked up by everyone who once worked in the Auto and Retail industries. That is why it is hard around here to find a job.

Again, it depends on what area of industry he is seeking, what type of education he has aquired, and what area you live in.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:16 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• there are alot of low paying part time jobs but the market for full time work is a tough one
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 11:49 PM on Sep. 30, 2010