Do you think that women that killed their abusive husbands should serve the same amount of time that a regular cold blooded murderer should?

I was watching a show about a woman who had four boys. She was married to their father who beat and raped her several times a day, every day. Sometimes he would take her out in the woods and threaten to kill her while strangling her. When she passed out he would beat her because she wouldn’t get up.

The eldest son finally called the police on his father after his father had beaten him up. The police came but left. As they were leaving the neighbors came out of their homes and begged the police not to leave. But they did anyway stating that they would come back if needed. The wife finally decided that enough was enough and she and her eldest son bludgeoned the father/husband to death.

The wife got 10 years and the son got some time as well. The judge admitted that he believed that the lady's husband had beaten her up, but stated that his hands were legally tied.

What do you think?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 9:55 PM on Sep. 30, 2010 in Relationships

• I think abuse is insanity and can cause the abused to go crazy by staying and believing that there really is no way out or anyone to help. It sounds to me like she was trying to protect her son from EVER having that happen to him again and he joined in because watching abuse all your life is abuse too and the pain, anger, torment, and stress of that constant injustice just finally boiled up to the surface. No, I don't believe that they should get the same sentence because to me they've already done their time and lived in a prision far worse than any prision that we could ever put them in. They've been through enough and need some serious therapy, maybe a little bit of time but not 10 years.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 11:38 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Don't get me wrong, I don't agree with anyone being physically or emotionally abused. I also understand in being pushed to a point of wanting to harm someone. I'm not negating those facts. However, I do think that if someone murders someone else when it isn't self defense, they should serve time in prison just like anyone else. It isn't right to play favorites with women who are abused. They may have been harmed for a long time, they may have emotional damage, but they made the clear choice to murder someone else. They shouldn't be thanked for that, they shouldn't be patted on the back. They should serve prison time.

Unless she was literally defending herself in the midst of an attack she has no right to lay her hands on him. Regardless of how he treated her throughout the time they were together.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:09 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• It is only self-defense if he was beating them (one or both) at the time they killed him. The way it reads, it was planned out. Not saying he didn't deserve it ... but I'm basing my opinion on how the story is written.

It's a shame it had to come to that. The police should have done something. Since I don't know what state this happened in, I can't say for sure, but in my state, if the cops come out for a domestic, somebody is going to jail.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 10:13 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• more power to her! i dont think she deserved time for defending herself.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 9:57 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I agree with the above. The lady had already been in prison, a prison of abuse, for many years. I don't know...a real prison may be a break after all she'd been through!
    rhope4

Answer by rhope4 at 10:01 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I agree with jennifer588, but playing devil's advocate here...I'm sure the defense attorney said she could have left him, called the police, filed a RO, etc.....
    DMac08

Answer by DMac08 at 10:07 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I think it would depend on her intent and if she did it while she was safe or while she was being beaten herself. There is a difference between a women killing her abusive husband while he sleeps and a women killing her husband while he is beating the crap out of her or her child.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:07 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Somebody please give this woman a prize or something!! I can't believe that you could still be charged with anything under those circumstances! There should be a law that allows women in this position to kill her abuser. Men like that deserve to die, and they deserve to be watching their backs every day wondering when shes gonna do it!
    Beanna4406

Answer by Beanna4406 at 10:08 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• P.S. She isn't defending herself if she isn't in the midst of an attack. It isn't self defense if you're not being physically attacked at the moment of your attack. If you go out of your way to harm someone else REGARDLESS of what they've previously done you are infact commiting a crime. You are putting someone else's life in your hands, and that isn't self defense that is murder.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:11 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• HELL NO! they should not have serve any time.
    Alice T.

Answer by Alice T. at 10:49 PM on Sep. 30, 2010