Do you ever get to the point where you want to just throw it all away?

I'm at a point where I literally can't do anything other than suggest my toddler pick up her toys (I'm pumping milk for her sister who can't breastfeed because she can't swallow). She doesn't have much, and I like the toys she has (mostly books), but right now, I'm at a point where I'm tempted to throw it all away just to keep the house clean.

DH and his clutter are just as bad. I'm not innocent myself... but wow. Just wondering if any other mamas are where I am right now.

tyheamma

Asked by tyheamma at 9:56 PM on Sep. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i would just box up almost everything and put it away for a while.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 9:58 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• We have done it before. Especially when we have to move. We do this because they get a bunch of stuff for b-days and Christmas. Out with the old and on with the new. I do however, think it's way better Kharma is you pay it forward, but I don't always take the time to do that.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 10:00 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I was at that point and my husband was past the point(restraining himself from throwing it away). So we boxed everything up and he can have a handful of toys out at a time. Usually something like..you can have your train set but you have to put your trucks away. He now asks me to get different toys when you he wants them.

tons better than a room full of clutter and constantly picking it up.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 10:04 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Oh yes! It seems like I'm getting rid of stuff all the time, but it keeps making its way back in somehow. We hardly ever buy stuff, either. I've heard of a cleaning song for kids (don't know the name), maybe you could get that and play it while helping her pick up. It could be a game you could do a few times a day with her. If you can't get that song, any song would work. I know how you feel, though, right now my living room is a disaster!
    HeatheranninSP

Answer by HeatheranninSP at 10:27 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I dunno, it doesn't really bother me. Maybe because he is too little to pick things up on his own yet, so I don't have that expectation. But we have a toy bin in the living room, one in his room, and one in our room, and it takes like 5 mins to go through any given room and throw it all in the bin. At 21 months, he is beginning to learn to do it too. he will do it if I tell him specifically what to pick up and where to put it.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 10:44 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• PS My own clutter is completely out of control, lol. I wish I could just throw all my crap in a bin and forget about it! Bills, work, newspapers, just cram it all in a box. Hmmmm.....it just might work....
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 10:45 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Yes, Im there right now. Im sick of the clutter and crap everywhere. We are getting stuff together to have a huge yard sale.
    mag12305cmg

Answer by mag12305cmg at 12:07 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I have a huge plastic bin in the living room. Its like 18 gallons or something like that, colored but see through. My son can easily take the lid off and loves to take his toys out. I just shove everything back in at the end of play tie and he thinks its funny and even helps some times (hes 13 months) It doesn't look super awesome in my living room, but a hell of a lot better then toys everywhere
    lasombrs

Answer by lasombrs at 12:11 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• lol i've had tons of dayz like that you are not alone. only have like 5 books or toys to play with and put the other ones up.
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 12:34 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• i know what your going through, my son has so many toys its not funny, my husband bought a 50gal tote out of walmart n its filled with toys adn blocks and he has several other bins with toys but the 50gal 1 is more of a problem he goes into it throwing out toys and never picks them up so we came up with a lil game for him we kinda toss the toys in tote kinda like a lill game adn so far hes been picking up toys, hes 28 months
    Snavarro08

Answer by Snavarro08 at 9:36 AM on Oct. 1, 2010