How do I deal with my parents getting a divorce after 25 years?

Recently I found out that my whole life was a lie. My dad has been been cheating on my mom since before I was born. This was all kept secret to "protect me". Now it is all out in the open, and everything has blown up. I am 25 years old, having to hear about all these things that my dad did, and honestly its messing with my mind more than I thought it could. To make matters worse, I am the only line of communication between my parents. I am the one having to tell my dad to stay away from the house and other things I can't really say on here. I know that I don't want to be in the middle of this, and I told both of them this, yet it still continues. How do I ease the drama? I have enough stress with my 2 kids!!

Beanna4406

Asked by Beanna4406 at 10:01 PM on Sep. 30, 2010 in Relationships

• My friend went through something similar. Do you have a friend that you could take to? I would also get with your parents, one at a time, and let them know that you love them but you don't want to get in the middle of this. Let them know that you are there for them but set boundaries. Good Luck!

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:05 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• *talk
    JeremysMom

• I went through something similar this past year myself. I finally just told both of them that I love them but to not to come to me to talk s*it about each other, or I will cut all ties and not speak to either of them. Its a little harsh, but it had to be done. I was driving myself insane.
    married2thenavy

Answer by married2thenavy at 11:11 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• So hard. My parents divorced after 33 years and I was 29. I honestly don't know what to say other than distance yourself from the things or people you need to in order to process things and be able to deal with them. In time, things will change.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 12:07 AM on Oct. 1, 2010