Inspection on my home by my husband's employer

We are stationed at Fort Hood, and live off post, and today there was a statement given by the post commander that all soldiers domiciles will be inspected on and off post. They are doing this because there has been a spike of suicides and domestic violence issues lately at our post.

Now the thing is. We live off post. My husband, my daughter and I. Is it right that they will be inspecting our home? We do not have a choice. I dont even know if that is legal.
But at the end of the day we will let them. If we cause a stink, it will hurt my husbands career, and it isnt worth it. My husband has been doing very well in his career.

I guess it is the principle of it. We do everything in our lives around the army, which otherwise doesnt bother me. We have a good life. It just bothers me that it is one more right we dont have anymore. Thoughts? Sorry I dont mean to rant.

Sillybillymel

Asked by Sillybillymel at 10:24 PM on Sep. 30, 2010 in Money & Work

• Wow. That would annoy me.
    I guess I understand why, but I would still be irritated that they were doing this.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:26 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• We lived off post too and we had an inspection every once in a blue moon. They really are not there very long, just a quick run through. It's not like the inspections that they do with the soldiers in the barracks. Just be nice and friendly and it will be over before you know it. It sucks but that is just part of the military life.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:27 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Employees of the government have many of their rights violated daily. I hate it and don't think it's right. this is just one more example.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:27 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Does he get a housing allowance as part of his pay? If so, then his employer is paying for that house you have. I'd be annoyed too, but technically it's theirs to inspect. Welcome to military life!
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 10:29 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• My husband and I were both in the Navy and I read this to him and he said "sounds like normal military shit to me." Sorry. It does suck, though.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:29 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I'm sure the inspections suck, but after reading WHY they are being done, I understand the reasoning behind it. Just look at it this way ... the landlord is making periodical inspections of his property.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 10:34 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• He does get a military allowance, but with that mindset, you could say they own all of our belongings because our income is from the army. The army is an employer. But really at the end of the day, they run your life. what other employer has that right? I know its different, but in some ways it is alittle too intrusive.
    Sillybillymel

Comment by Sillybillymel (original poster) at 10:36 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• A housing allowance is specifically for housing, it is not taxed and it is not considered "income." Just like a uniform allowance is for uniforms; my husband has this at his job. He gets a uniform allowance, and they have the right to inspect his uniform and make sure he is wearing the correct boots, safety gear, etc at all times while on duty. Your husband is free to get a different job if you guys dont' like it, but that's the way the military is. I dealt with it myself and I know it sucks, but it's a choice like any other. My motto is "Choose differently or quit yer bitchin"
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 10:50 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Wow believe me there are way more things to complain about when it comes to the army and the bs. I am sorry that you feel the need to be rude and curse in your reply. It is very disrespectful and detracts from your point. Which I do understand. Frankly I am not going to get into semantics on the topic of housing allowance. But the fact is I reside with my husband as does our daughter and it is an invasion of privacy. And how rude of you to tell my husband to get a different job. My husband enojys his work and is a credit to the service. I am the one who feels put off by the inspections. Considering you said you have experience with the military life you should understand how things work. Im sorry that you are obviously very negative about this topic and wish you the best. The military life is not for everyone that is true. And you cannot just quit the army. My husband is contracted for another 4 years.
    Sillybillymel

Comment by Sillybillymel (original poster) at 10:59 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• They are prolly just trying to make a whatever you call it since there's been a lot of domestic violennce and suicides. If they check everyones abode, they are not held responsible.
    stepho345

Answer by stepho345 at 11:43 PM on Sep. 30, 2010