Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

How do I go about legally changing my name?

My name is Jeni, that's right JUST "Jeni"...but on EVERY job I've had the employer filled my job out as Jennifer (although my applications were "Jeni) Even when I got my license I told them my name and it ended up being Jennifer,,it seems no one believes me. I was wondering if there is anyway I can change it to Jennifer..for legaly reasons and then just continue to be called Jeni...its so annoying.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:30 PM on Sep. 30, 2010 in Just for Fun

Answers (8)
  • You would have to go through the courts to change your name. They will then put out a notice saying that Jeni _______ is requesting a name change to Jennifer _________. It is basically for creditors to know in case you are trying to "hide" or run away from your debts.


    Answer by JeremysMom at 10:32 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

  • or you can go to your social security office and see what you have to do to get it changed

    Answer by Glowey at 10:43 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

  • Glowey, the social security office will not be able to assist with legally changing your name. They can only change the name on your social security info/card once they have the piece of paper that states you have had your name changed.

    Answer by JeremysMom at 10:47 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

  • File a petition to have it legally changed. With lawyers fees it should be under $200

    Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:50 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

  • Go to the county courthouse where you live and fill out a form. It costs a small fee, approx. $50.00 give or take, that's all there is to it.

    Answer by cissycat8 at 10:51 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

  • You don't even need a lawyer. Go to the court and ask for a change of name request form, our court cost was $60 when we had my oldest son's last name changed 2 years ago. You will also have to pay to have it placed in the local newspaper for public notice, that cost us $25. It is really easy, you can do it yourself.

    Answer by Leigh519121 at 10:57 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

  • @jeremysmom ok i didn't know that i was just trying to help but thanks for letting me know

    Answer by Glowey at 10:58 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

  • You need to make sure your employer know that is your real name. If you want to change your name then you need to go to an attorney.

    Answer by amessageofhope at 12:59 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.