Do you "direct" other children at the playground when their parents wont step in?

My son is 2 and I am pleasantly surprised by his behavior lately. He shares, he waits his turn and has never been in daycare. It wasn't always this way and at the playground, I always made it a point to tell him to wait his turn, share, whatever and correct the behavior. Yesterday, he was climbing the ladder and the boy behind him (probably around 4) went to try to pass him (there's only room for one, it was dangerous) I waited for the Mom to say something and she didn't. Luckily my son turned around and told him "My turn, be patient." LOL!!! So he saved me there. Later the boy pushed my son out of the way so he could have the steering wheel toy. We were both watching, again she said nothing. I didn't say anything and my son kept saying "Eldons turn please". Should I have told the boy to give it back? What do you do in these situations? What would you do if another Mom directed your child?

jenellemarie

Asked by jenellemarie at 10:55 PM on Sep. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• All the time. I am not going to allow my child to be bullied by another kid or get hurt because of unsafe behavior that Mom/Dad is too busy reading or socializing to correct.

Like, my daughter - she is 3 - knows that slides are for going DOWN not for climbing up. Because I don't want some kid at the top to slide down and knock into her - they will both get hurt. Also, it is not fair to the kid at the top who has to wait for your kid to climb up the slide instead of going around to the latter
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 10:58 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I often direct kids if parents won't step in, but my first tactic is to make eye contact with the parent and direct their attention to their ill-behaved child by looking at them and looking back at the parent lol. Pointing with my eyes. If they don't get the hint after I give them a dirty look after that, I step in and tell the kid to cool it.

If another parent directed my child I would feel embarrassed that I hadn't been paying enough attention to do my job as a mother. I would feel ashamed. Unless they were being jerks, directing her to make her let kids cut her or something lol.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:00 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I tend to avoid conflict and in my experience if they don't care about their kids bullying others on the playground or not being nice then they probably won't try to be civil to you if you try to correct their child. I would probably just say to my child (loudly enough to be heard) come on sweetie let's go play somewhere you won't get pushed around.
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 11:02 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I do it, but in a super sweet mothering voice so no other mom gets upidy about it. Things like "Uh oh, it's not your turn yet" or "Oo be careful not to push him down sweety". lol.
    aacg12

Answer by aacg12 at 11:02 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• If my child is in danger of being hurt and the other parent does not step in, I will say something or direct my child to play elsewhere.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 11:04 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I try to let my children work it out on their own, unless they are in a dangerous situation. If It doesn't seem like they can work it out I will encourage mine to do something else until the other child is done with whatever it is. Children have to learn what to do in these situations bc when they get to school, the teachers really don't seem to do much about it except tell them not to tattle. :(
    young-not-dumb

Answer by young-not-dumb at 11:29 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I agree with aacg.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 11:49 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Like everyone else said, if the parent doesnt step up.. I say something nicely. Like the other day a kid kept throwing woodchips and they kept hitting my kids. And they were throwing them all over the slides and everything when people were going down. Appearantly the Mother didnt care because she was staring at them and just sitting on the bench. So, I asked him nicely to not throw them anymore. It worked for like ten minutes and then he started doing it again. So I just packed my kids up and left. Its a shame some people dont teach their children manners at all.
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 12:07 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I do, but only if my child is in danger or if they are being down right mean.
    Leigh519121

Answer by Leigh519121 at 1:07 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Hell yeah I will say something. I will not allow my DD to get bullied because some lazy ass "mom" would rather not pay attention to her child. Mainly I try to le DD handle it herself (she is almost 3 & extremely smart & sweet & independent.) But I will step in if I need to
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 1:38 AM on Oct. 1, 2010