For anyone with a medical degree or past experience like this.

My son is 9 months old and for 3 days he has has diahrea and a runny nose which I have, until today, associated with his teething. However, today he has been "lethargic" he woke up at 8am and was back asleep by 9am and slept until nearly 1pm. Then around 3 he went back to sleep and slept until almost 6pm. On top of this he has had a temp of 102 on and off. 2 hours ago he had another temp of 102 and I gave him motrin and about an hour later it broke and his temp is now 95.5 I have taken it several times both orally and under the arm as well as with 2 different thermometers. I called the on call nurse and she said that she thinks he is okay to stay at home and to call back if his temp gets over 104 or goes any lower than 95.5 Any advice?? I am kind of really freaking out right now.

Mrs.Robey_4ever

Asked by Mrs.Robey_4ever at 10:58 PM on Sep. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'm a nurse, and while I'm big into home remedies and stuff, I think as a mom I'd be getting a little concerned, too. After 3 days of diarrhea, you want to really watch your son for dehydration. Make sure he's nursing a lot, and maybe even offer him water after he nurses. If he's worse tomorrow, call the doc again. Good luck!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 11:02 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• First, calm down. The lethargy is probably from dehydration and just not feeling well. Get some breastmilk or water in him if you can. The temperature is artificially low due to the motrin. take it again in an hour and see waht it does. You also need to add a degree for taking it under the arm. Try taking it rectally (I know, I hate it too) to get a good reading.

It doesn't sound that serious to me. Just something to watch.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:04 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I'd call your pediatrician and explain that entire thing to him/her. To me, I'd rather be safe than sorry because for a child to be lethargic may mean something more. Just call up your kid's dr and they should be able to tell you over the phone whether or not to come in.
    Cenchan

Answer by Cenchan at 11:05 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I have called the on call nurse for his doctor. and his rectal temp was 96.0 also it has been about an hour an it's the same.
    Mrs.Robey_4ever

Comment by Mrs.Robey_4ever (original poster) at 11:07 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• My son had a really low temp once and we took him to the ER. He had laryngitis. Not a huge deal... sometimes they just react that way. Follow your instincts (even if they're wrong!)
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 2:52 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I took mine to the doc wen that happened. I felt so horrible for waiting. She was severly dehydrated had 2 stay hospitalize for 3days. She had rota virus!
    mercy928

Answer by mercy928 at 10:01 AM on Oct. 1, 2010