How many of you took pills for nausea during pregnancy?

I took zofran at least once a day for about 4 months, but I stopped about 3 mo ago. The doctors swore it was safe and after I dehydrated and was losing so much weight from throwing up EVERYTHING I ate, it was pretty much the best/only choice. I've looked it up numerous times on the web and it's supposed to be harmless but I'm still concerned about how healthy it really is, and would like to ease my mind (although it's too late now, lol). Did any of you take while pregnant? You're child didn't have any complications related to it that you know of?

Evansmommy91

Asked by Evansmommy91 at 11:00 PM on Sep. 30, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I think if it helps you stay hydrated and get calories down then definitely do it!

I had it once in an IV after 30 hours of not being about to keep any food down at all! Luckily I only needed it that once. If I lost any more weight in the first trimester (I usually lose 10ish lbs) then I would take it so I wouldn't lose all that weight.
    aacg12

Answer by aacg12 at 11:03 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• my sister took it when pregnant w/ her daughter no problems and took it for her current pregnancy too
    loomis6

Answer by loomis6 at 11:04 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• yeah thats what i take and i just had my baby girl on 8/26 and she perfectly healthy
    Paigesmommy78

Answer by Paigesmommy78 at 11:04 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I took Diclectin with my youngest, lost 20 lbs in the first 3 months with her pregnancy. She is absolutely fine at 5 years old!
    bookworm23

Answer by bookworm23 at 11:05 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I had to take it for months during my last pregnancy and I took it for a short time with my other two pregnancies as well. It has been in use for a long time and has come up as harmless to the fetus in tests for decades. I wouldn't worry about it. It would be worse to starve yourself or your baby because you can't keep anything down. If your really worried have you tried natural remedies such as fresh ginger under your tongue or eating a dill pickle or any thing else? There are plenty of natural remedies out there but if the zofran is working for you I'd stick with it.
    -Cassandra-

Answer by -Cassandra- at 11:06 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• My stomach is and was paralized and I could not hardly eat the entire time and then was in the hospital for 6 months and they gave me promethazine, many other thing and my son is fine almost 14 years ! Good Luck
    Korysmom96

Answer by Korysmom96 at 11:07 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Thanks for the replies. Luckily at about 22 weeks my morning sickness decided to stay with the morning not all day! So I didn't have to take pills anymore. And believe me I tried EVERY natural remedy I heard of, even those $11 rip-off sea bands lol! "Morning" sickness is a horrible thing to go through and zofran really helped A LOT
    Evansmommy91

Comment by Evansmommy91 (original poster) at 11:12 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I took an Rx med called Diclectin which is only available in Canada. It's been prescribed for over 30 years for pregnancy related nausea. I took it during my first two pregnancies (I didn't have morning sickness with my 3rd) and my boys are now 12 and 8 and healthy and smart as can be. For me it was beyond "morning sickness" - I was barely able to keep down enough fluids to stay hydrated, and really no food at all. I felt miserable constantly and could not function at all. I needed something and the Diclectin was like a miracle for me - I still didn't feel great, but I was able to eat and keep down fluids.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 11:14 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• i ended up having to take it while i was at the hospital to be induced. i never got sick during my pregnancy, but i couldn't keep anything down while i was in the hospital. phenegren made me throw up, but zofran worked just fine. i also had to take darvocet, percocet, and ambien during pregnancy... plus had a CAT scan when i was about a month pregnant (the hospital never knew i was pregnant) and my DS is perfectly fine!

i'm sure you'll be fine, especially if it helps you keep things down. that's the most important thing for you and your baby!
    aydensXmommy

Answer by aydensXmommy at 11:15 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• i take zofran it is 100 percent safe its used for chemo patients so they wont throw up usually ...but they give it for hypermesis now too
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 12:45 AM on Oct. 1, 2010