bad news for my dad!!!

Well my dad is 78 and was diagnosid with end stages COPD and 2day hospice told us when they listened to his lungs they could not hear hardly any air going in and thats not good. My mom told us kids that we should just spend the next couple months with him as much as we can. They are not sure if he will be here for Christmas either! I know I will be with him alot but I don't know how to handle it... I am scared, mad and don't know if I can take this! I don't know what to tell my 13 year old son he knows poppy is sick and not gonna get better but do I tell him this??? I am scared and don't know what to do now!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:05 PM on Sep. 30, 2010 in Relationships

• I am so sorry for you and your family. Do spend as much time with him as you can. You won't regret spending the extra time with him. God bless you and your family.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 11:07 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• (((hugs))) Tell your son the truth as gently as possible, and allow him to spend time with his grandfather before he dies. I am so sorry. This is very hard, I know.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 11:08 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I know you're going through hard times right now with your Dad being sick and all, but you can't hide the truth from your son. He's old enough to understand and he's going to have to deal with it too. He's going to notice that you are not yourself and is going to want to know what is going on. If he has never dealt with this before, you're going to have to be compassionate with him when you tell him. Don't wait until the last minute. He may want to spend some time with him as well. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers, and hope you'll get through this as a family.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:44 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• If your hospice nurse is a good one, he or she can help explain what's going on to your son and help your son with his feelings. Hospice nurses are trained in teaching and counseling families as well as patients. Is this a recent diagnosis? Medication adjustments could improve his airflow and give him a better quality of life for a bit longer, long enough for everyone to spend time with him and come to terms with the realities.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 7:21 AM on Oct. 1, 2010