does ur baby cry when pooping.

i have a 5 week old and every time she is pooping she crying like it hurts the Dr says it normal but she just seems like she is straining so much

Paigesmommy78

Asked by Paigesmommy78 at 11:13 PM on Sep. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My first baby did this and we switched her to a gentler formula. That helped. Good luck. Also try Gripe Water.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 11:14 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• All 3 of mine cried when they were really young. By 3-6 months they usually don't cry anymore. When they are so little they don't have good control over all of their functions and their muscles. When they feel pressure in their stomach they don't know how to handle it so they cry. The crying sometimes helps them use abdominal muscles and strain to help push out the poop. As long as poop is actually coming out and it isn't stick or super hard then you have a perfectly normal baby and shouldn't worry. I know as a parent it's hard to watch and there doesn't seem to be much you can do so you feel helpless but it really is normal and it will pass. If you want to help or offer comfort you can try massaging your baby's tummy to help push it all out. Keeping baby upright can help by allowing gravity to assist too.
    -Cassandra-

Answer by -Cassandra- at 11:29 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Neither of my kids did. Could she be constipated? If you're breastfeeding then yes, it's just baby's way of telling you her diaper will need changed soon lol. But formula constipates some babies. If her poop is hard then she might need some help with that.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:16 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• YES! my daughter is 7 weeks old and she cries about 95% of the time she poops. her poop is not hard. she is formula fed as of right now(hard time latching on ) and i dont think its her formula(gentle ease)..hmm i feel so bad for her everytime she poops:(
    mywonderyears

Answer by mywonderyears at 11:23 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• My twins cry about 75% of the time that they poop.
    twinmama2five

Answer by twinmama2five at 11:14 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• my son used to cry a lot when he was really little if he was pooping. i think it was the formula. we switched to soy formula for a while and it went away. sometimes now he gets constipated so we give him apple juice. your baby is too little for apple juice so maybe try gripe water.
    xavierlogan09

Answer by xavierlogan09 at 2:27 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Sounds like constipation.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 9:28 PM on Oct. 1, 2010