Have you ever been depressed while pregnant?

I have been feeling really low for about a month. I am going to be 12 weeks pregnant on Sunday! I am really excited about the baby, cant wait to find out the gender, get the room ready, have the baby.... one problem, i wake up sad everyday. I am riddled with negative thoughts ( we cant afford it {really we will be fine and cut corners} i am not a good enough mom to handle 2 kids...etc.) This happened last time i was pregnant but i didnt plan on getting pregnant (with my first) and had to change my lifestyle in a major way so i thought it was just a result of that. So i need info about what i should/could do

AmaliaD

Asked by AmaliaD at 2:00 PM on Oct. 23, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Sorry your feeling this way. I think it is important to let your doctor (and of course family) know how you are feeling...I suggest you call your obgyn office and let them know whats going on & schedule an appointment...It could just be that your hormone levels are off- and simple hormone therapy could solve this for you. Because your depressed doesn't neccessarily mean you need anti-depressants. Also, know that most women go through periods of being up & down with there moods during pregnancy- but when it starts to effect you like this- its time to just be honest and get some help. Best of luck
    litstargazer

Answer by litstargazer at 2:20 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• (continued!)
    ... i am scared to take meds because it could hurt the baby, but at the same time i dunno if i can handle this again for another 6 months! i also think i am taking it out on my undeserving dh. if you have delt with this please tell me a few things. What did you do? Did it work? Did your baby suffer any consequences from the meds or therapy? Who did you approach with the issue (family doctor/ob/psychologist? ) Thank you for your help!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:00 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I think you just need a good support group Let friend's and family know what's going on, you should'nt be alone now. Maybe they can take turn's visiting you or just calling. This is nothing you should be ashamed about and you need to tell everyone including your ob about this issue. This is a time that you need to be babied the most. Did I spell that right? lol..I did'nt get depressed while prego but after my first daughter I had I think severe postpartum depression. I would cry for no reason and leave my baby crying thinking what have I done this for. By that I mean having a baby! I never told anyone until this nightmare past. When I got prego w/ my second I told everyone what I was so ashamed to tell them with my first baby. Everything was so different his time, everyone helped out if it was a visit, a call or a card. That was what I needed attention and support..
    2precious2

Answer by 2precious2 at 2:07 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• It's actually very common and normal, although that may not make you feel better! Please talk to your doctor or midwife and see what they recommend. It's not always medication, many times having a good support group helps, I do ante partum doula work with moms who have depression during pregnancy. It surprises a lot of moms who think depression only comes post partum. Hugs.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 3:05 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Hi there, This is very common. I would search Amazon for books on the pregnancy blues.
    Good Luck!
    http://www.bumpfashion.com
    bumpfashion

Answer by bumpfashion at 4:25 PM on Oct. 23, 2008