My almost one year old eating real food....

My daughter will be one on july 6th and she does NOT want her baby food anymore, which is great, we just need to cook at home way more often then, but my only concern is if shes getting enough to eat or not. I try and give her a bit of a selection so she isnt just not eating anymore because shes bored of it, but I also know she has a tiny tummy the size of her fist. Is there any way to really know how much she should be eating?

Asked by Ilovemybbgrl at 12:55 AM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Kids' Health

• your daughter will let you know when she is full. Just don't force her to eat more than she can. If she is bored with the selection of food your giving her, try giving a wider selection. Peas all the time? Try corn instead. See what I'm saying?

Answer by kaysha at 1:11 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I agree with the PP. My daughter will be 1 on July 1st, and she still likes her babyfood, but it was getting way to expensive! She will eat almost anything that I eat, only if she sees me eating it. And she tells me when she is full, and she tells me when she is hungry. And my dd is stil breastfeeding several times a day, so I don't have to be really worried about her getting enough tablefood or not. You LO will be getting his/her breastmilk/formula for awhile more, untill they can communicate more on what they need.

Answer by renajennjenn at 2:53 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• give her snacks inbetween meals, apple slices, cheese, chex mix, this will keep her eating healthy ammounts throught the day and will make sure she isnt hungry with out telling you
    if she doesnt eat it dont force her - you will be surprised when she stars going through growth spurts from now on it will seem like she can put more food away than you!

Answer by vakatia at 5:39 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• My LO was the same way. I poached chicken for him so that it was soft enough, peas (bought frozen) and green beans (from a can) were always a hit. In stead of the Puffs snacks we switched to mini rice cakes. I would make quick oats for breakfast and put frozen blueberries or sliced banana in it. She will let you know when she is full and hungry. Kids will always be good at that I think :) And how much she eats will go in spurts. You can always teach her a few baby signs for hungry or more to help her communicate to you what she wants.

Answer by bltcahill at 5:02 PM on Jun. 21, 2008