health insurance

Hey I'm shopping around for health insurance, and it's so overwhelming. We are a self employed family so going through work isn't an option. Any advice on a good insurance company? I know they'll all are gonna have high premiums, just looking for good coverage, and what are the MUST HAVES. What we have now STINKS. Thanks

doublefistin

Asked by doublefistin at 2:03 PM on Oct. 23, 2008 in Shopping

• I don't know what state you're in and what is availible in your area.. I also don't know if you have any special medical needs going on... but here's my experiences! I've had insurance through employers usually. We have Blue Cross Blue Shield now, and I don't care for them. The doctors make a face when they know you have them, seems like I pay for a lot more out of pocket. I had United Healthcare for ages and LOVED them. They were very reasonable on what they covered. Not having to fight your insurance to pay what they are supposed to pay is a big deal to me! Aenta is a solid company as well. My husband just changed jobs and I did a lot of reading and comparing trying to figure out what we "lost" by stepping down in benefits.

Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 4:15 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• http://www.realsimple.com/realsimple/content/0,21770,1118129,00.html   -- This is a health insurance "checklist" to help you compare benefits and see what you're getting.

http://health.usnews.com/sections/health/health-plans/index.html  US News and World report on the best Health Insurance companies and how they are rated.

Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 4:17 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I sent you an invite. I would love to help you out but I need to know some more information about your situation first... Talk to you soon!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:30 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• United Healthcare offers "kids only" health insurance plans that provide children's coverage for sickness and accidents. Their plans are written through school districts and many private K12 schools throughout the US. Their health plan is designed to be affordable, at just $98 every 2 months. Check out www.k12studentinsurance.com to see if your child's school district (or private school) is participating. Click on the "Plans & Pricing" tab, enter the district name or private school name and the state in the search box and review the plans. If you don’t find your child’s school district, call UnitedHealthcare StudentResources at 888-282-5957 to see about adding it.
    Source: www.k12studentinsurance.com
    GeorgeS

Answer by GeorgeS at 9:08 AM on Oct. 30, 2008