?Question about surgery and breastfeeding a newborn?

I have to have hernia surgery shortly after my baby is born and I am wondering if you have any advice on how to keep up my milk supply because I intend on exclusively breastfeeding for as long as possible. Also, I have had low milk supply in the past, so I am concerned about that being and issue again.

Livi-Lou

Asked by Livi-Lou at 2:14 PM on Oct. 23, 2008 in Health

• Fenugreek and Brewer's Yeast are both herbal supplements that have always greatly increased my supply. Also, have you ever tried nursing only on 1 side a feeding? That way baby gets plenty of hindmilk...
    AimeeLW

Answer by AimeeLW at 2:16 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• If you are worried about the medicines they put you on call her pedi and ask if they are alright to take and still breastfeed. I thought I couldn't breastfeed while I was on my meds after an apendectomy, but come to find out I just need to pump for a day. Then could have breastfeed after that. My milk supply started dwendlling, but it came back once I started breastfeeding again.
    SandraBeth

Answer by SandraBeth at 2:35 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Fenugreek seed not root and lot's of oatmeal and lots and lots of water. pump between feeding when you can. Keep in mind that sometimes (like me) No matter how hard you try you just can't make the whole year (or more) I was bale to BF for 8 months exclusively and had to give alittle formula after that. She just recently went to all formula at 10 months of age. I was so so sad but I did what I could and that was more than some.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:19 PM on Oct. 23, 2008