How do you get kids to stop picking?

My son has a hard time reading. When he has to read in class, he gets so nervous that he will mess up that he messes up. I feel so bad for him because they kids pick on him. What would you do in this situation?

Peajewel

Asked by Peajewel at 11:55 PM on Sep. 30, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Have him read out loud at home. He will gain more confidence in other places.
    Kids pick... on anything. They will always find something.... my daughter is hairy. Poor thing. ,they call her Chubacka. We have started trimming her arm/leg hair... and tell her not to worry about these comments.

I know these two things are not compatable... but we want to help the issue + tell her to be confident. It is hard to know how to handle it. I want to say "remember the boys calling you names now bc they will love you in 4 yrs". But since she is still young, we trim to try to help her fit in more and tell her to ignore these mean people.
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 12:08 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• You can't get other kids to stop picking on other kids in general.. but you can try to boast his confidence so HE won't get picked on as much.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:33 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• You should read out loud to him. My kids read like scholars i read out loud to them all the time. I had fun with voices and all. then they would read to me. they love reading. Let him read to the dog, or pet it will help in reading out loud
    dorotheabrown37

Answer by dorotheabrown37 at 8:54 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I have read to this child since I was pregnant! He loves to be read to but does not like reading himself. They have actually discovered that he has dyslexia which is why he is having such a hard time reading. I am glad to have figured it out but the teacher will still pick on him and the kids will still make fun.
    Peajewel

Comment by Peajewel (original poster) at 9:47 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• First of all you need to con't. to read with your son at night. secondly, it is the teachers responsibility to correct the other kids about picking on your son. And if the techer isn't aware that it's going on-then it's respnsiblity to let him/her to know- Also if your child is having problems with reading ,talk to the guidance councilor and see about putting him into a reading class. hope this helps out.
    Irontontiger

Answer by Irontontiger at 12:02 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Read with him at home.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 2:14 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• My friends son has dyslexia, we do what is called modeled reading. You read a passage, you both read the same passage together, then he reads it by himself. also try recording his reading and using it to self correct his mistakes. and practice, practice, practice.
    unicornnymph22

Answer by unicornnymph22 at 2:24 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Me and my son read his 100 book chanllenge every night together I read it out loud then I have him read with when we read it again hope that helps
    Mom2lovingboys

Answer by Mom2lovingboys at 8:46 AM on Dec. 3, 2010