is it worth it for a family of 3?

for a Costco or Sam's Club card for me, SO & DD? I cook all meals from scratch. Is it worth it to shop in bulk like that?

stressedmomma13

Asked by stressedmomma13 at 12:04 AM on Oct. 1, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I have recently found that it is much cheaper to buy food there and The meat prices cant be beat and the selection is massive. I dont think any of ours have a specialty meat department like for exotic foods but I live in Alaska.
    agriffinmom4

Answer by agriffinmom4 at 12:13 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I would say yes. We have been anything from a family of four to a family of two and have always had a membership and probably always will. Savings is savings.
    Indyk

Answer by Indyk at 12:30 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I think so. I had a Costco membership when I was single and I think it was worth it. You need to be prepared with storage space for all the stuff you get, it adds up! Plus, Costco's Kirkland brand products are terrific and the instant-type foods they carry are very good - it's nice to have some easy meals stashed in the freezer for days when you just can't make from scratch. I love costco!!
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 1:43 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• We are a family of 3 and we have a Sam's Club membership and yes it is so worth it I can only find my Chai Tea there and we love all the good bargains we find
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 6:25 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Yes. DH and I used it alot when it was just the two of us. Now it's even better with the twins
    TALuke

Answer by TALuke at 1:57 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• The way I figure is we make the cost by gas savings. My husband loves shopping in Costco and Sams.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 2:59 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• We are a family of 3 and have a Sam's Club membership. The meat prices are much cheaper most of the time, as are the prices for basic items like rice, pasta and spices, so if you like to cook in bulk, it's a great deal. Ours also has an extensive organics/all-natural selection of both processed & fresh foods.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 6:49 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Not just for food but it's also great for stuff like toilet paper, toothpast, detergent, etc.,
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 10:26 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Oh I forgot - diapers and wipes! Costco's brand of both are excellent and much cheaper.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 2:25 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Absolutely!!

We belong to BJ's Wholesale, and just buying cheese every week pays for the membership! If you make all of your meals regularly and from scratch you can save a TON on basic staples like flour, sugar, spices, eggs! BUT the one caveat is you really have to know your "cost per unit" prices...just because the items are bought in bulk doesn't ALWAYS mean it's a good deal if purchased in smaller "regular sized." SOME items are sold in bulk for convenience, not necessarily for savings.

The first year we joined they were offering a $39.99 membership rate. I estimate that we saved well over $700 in the EXACT same items I would have purchased at our local Giant or Wegman's grocery stores! It's somewhat less savings (around $400 per year) now that we're out of diapers and baby products...yay! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:38 AM on Oct. 3, 2010