Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Can a family doctor help with this?

I have medical insurance but not dental. I have an absessed tooth that I know I need antibotics for and I really need it pulled but I can't afford to pay cash for it right now and no dentist around here takes payments.
If I got to my family doctor will he be able to prescribe antibotics for me?
I know I can go to the ER but it doesn't hurt and I don't want to go to the ER for a non emergency.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 12:04 AM on Oct. 1, 2010 in Health

Answers (5)
  • Do you have a dental school near you? I think this would be your best hope.

    Answer by amessageofhope at 12:08 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

  • What I would do is call both a doctor and dentist who accepts your insurance, on an anonymous basis. Both doctors should understand the circumstances. Ask specifically, "In your experience with this insurance company, would they pay for treatment in this instance if someone was treated by you?' Do not admit that you specifically have "this instance" or the insurance may deny you as pre-existing. If they cannot help, someone at your insurance company might be able to. Use the same wording. By the way, just because you do not have dental insurance does not mean that you have no coverage for your teeth. All policies vary, but an infection may be considered medical, so extraction may be covered. Or it might not. You have to check.


    Answer by sillymoo at 1:36 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

  • I do not think a dr will keep perscribing you pain meds for something that can be fixed. I know its expensive which sucks. Ok call me dumb but im not sure what an absessed tooth is. But I do know they having stuff at like walmart that is a temporay filling. If that helps. See IDK cause Im not sure what it is. Sorry. I also bump for you.

    Answer by Nikky0803PAG at 9:00 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

  • Should be able to help. It shouldn't matter who prescribes antibiotics as long as they are licensed to do so.

    Answer by 2autisticsmom at 1:41 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

  • Antiobiotics will only help on a temporary basis, you need to have the tooth fixed. An absessed tooth can cause a lot of other problems to your mouth and health.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:43 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.