my 3 year old

Totally going through this picking favorites or "mean' phase. I don't like it but keep being told not to pay any attention to it. Ex.. he loves mommy.."daddy you stay out of my roon, dont touch my toys, this is for me and mommy" he just past a recent daddy phase just like this also - he won't give hugs and kisses goodbye to my family, which to us is NOT ok, that's what we do in our family. Hug and kiss goodbye.. my mom thinks not to push that but we find it unacceptable.. is that ok to punish like time outs and privlages taken away?

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 12:15 AM on Oct. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• I totally agree on not punish him at all this generation is different there is not such thing as terrible twos any more is the threes which I wasn't aware. But it is really important to get on your knees to his level and talk to him that is ok and that u would like him to show his affections. You cannot force a kid on giving kisses and hugs because that is called sexual harrasment YEA that's what I heard in my class I was shock that they say you cannot just take a kiss from your kid you need to ask him if its ok to kiss him or hug them because is their body and we need to show them that they make the decition since that age. Just saying, we are the kissing kind too but I have my Just turn 4 year old girl that eventhough she would let us know she loves us in lots of amazing ways she wont let us kiss her. Good luck ;)
    Karenamezcua

Answer by Karenamezcua at 1:17 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• OH HE WILL GET OVER IT SOON ENOUGH LOL THAT AGE CAN BE SO FUN BUT SO HARD TOO GL AND DONT PUNISH HIM, SOME PEOPLE ARE JUST NOT TOUCHY FEELY
    agriffinmom4

Answer by agriffinmom4 at 12:43 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• He'll get over it, but I wouldn't accept being rude or disrespectful, they have to learn that at an early age. As far as the giving hugs and kisses I just wouldn't push it too much. keep asking every time, or if you really feel the need, try using some reverse psychology on him. That usually works for his age. :)
    young-not-dumb

Answer by young-not-dumb at 12:58 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I would say just punish him when you feel he's being rude or disrespectful. If he's just not being affectionate though I wouldn't punish that, he may be developing his personality and not be an affectionate person.
    kamsmommy17

Answer by kamsmommy17 at 1:00 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• He'll get over it. Children are like that nowadays :)
    mygirlpaige

Answer by mygirlpaige at 9:39 AM on Oct. 1, 2010