What do you think about not wearing your engagement/wedding ring at work?

I am a nursing student, and my engagement ring is a 1 1/2 carat marquis cut diamond (it has pointy ends). I don't want to not wear it, but I'm concerned about possibly tearing latex gloves, scratching patients, etc. I'm considering buying a plain gold band and wearing it at work. What do you think? If it were you, your ring, no ring, or substitute ring?

KA91

Asked by KA91 at 12:20 AM on Oct. 1, 2010 in Money & Work

• I would also wear a plain band at work in your case considering that the gloves are for the protection of your patients and yourself. My husband can't wear his ring at work all the time because he works on helicopter engines and it can cause him injury or if it gets stuck or lost in the engine it can cause engine failure. In cases of safety, I'm ok with going without the ring or not wearing the sparkly one.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 12:29 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I totally agree. if I were a nurse, you SHOULD be nervous aboiut those things and yes, I would buy a plain gold band for at work
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:22 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I have a titanium band that I wear at work. I only waitress, but the titanium is much more durable than the white gold.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:26 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• no ring...dh can't wear his at work because of the chemicals he works with
    his_babydoll

Answer by his_babydoll at 12:32 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I don't think I would wear it at work/school. If the prongs bend you could lose the diamond. I hope you have insurance for it, it doesn't cost that much. Hide it in your house, don't put it in your pocketbook-it could get stolen!
    NicolesMommy

Answer by NicolesMommy at 4:16 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Yeah, I agree, smooth gold band for sybolism at work its good, especially in your profession.
    Indyk

Answer by Indyk at 12:23 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• The titanium band suggestion is perfect. I totally understand why you wouldn't want to wear your ring at work, and yet I know I'd go nuts without something on that finger!
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 12:46 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I agree, in your profession, it makes sense to take it off while you are working. I know lots of people who don't wear their rings at work for similiar reasons, especially men who do manual labor etc. You could get a replacement for while you work or you could just take it off when you get there and put it back on when you leave ;-)
    jacksmom3707

Answer by jacksmom3707 at 8:16 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• My husband has a nice ring and a plain gold ring for work. He didn't went to mess up his good ring at work. I think your reason is even more valid....plain gold band.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:24 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I hadn't even considered how soft gold is! Titanium might be a good way for me to go. I thank you all for your input!
    KA91

Comment by KA91 (original poster) at 12:30 AM on Oct. 1, 2010