Can you be a foster parent if you are single?

I would love to be a foster parent someday. I was wondering if you can be a foster parent if you are single though? Do you have to own your own home? Any info would be appreciated. BTW, I live in Georgia. Not sure if that helps or not.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:27 AM on Oct. 1, 2010 in Adoption

• * Be at least 21 years old.
    * Have enough room (and beds) in your home for a foster child to sleep and keep his or her belongings.
    * Live in a home that can meet basic fire, safety and sanitary standards.
    * Be physically and emotionally capable of caring for children and have no alcohol or drug abuse problems.
    * Be able to pass a criminal background check and have no substantiated record of abusing or neglecting children.
    * Make enough money to provide for your own family, so you do not need to depend on the foster care reimbursement you receive from the state as income.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:01 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• i have a friend who has never been married nor owns here own home (i believe) and fosters and has gotten to adopt 2 of them. so i think it is possible. her mom did it before her and so she wanted to do it too. and now she does.
    ldylancer03

Answer by ldylancer03 at 12:48 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• those are the general requirements.. although each state may be a little stricter on their rules and regs. Aside from that you'd have to check with your state.

this site might help:
    http://www.adopting.org/adoptions/considering-fostering-resources-and-information-for-families-considering-foster-care-and-foster-parenting.html

xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:03 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Yes, we live in Kentucky but several people in our class were single and since becoming a foster parent I've met several other single foster parents.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 12:56 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• ive never met any foster parents here in georgia that werent married. ive met quite a few that were though... ask your local dcfs office they can tell you :)
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 12:33 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• According to this article.  Yes

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 12:13 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I know of several people who have fostered while single. I can't imagine anyone being turned down for that reason. There is a huge need for foster parents in most areas. It will probably be pretty important that you figure out who your support system will be. This can be anyone that is willing and able, whether relatives, church family, friends, neighbors, etc. Fostering is a big undertaking and you will want to have people to rally around you during the hard times. The fact that you want to do it is a big plus in your corner! Loving children should be a much more widely "normal' thing. :)
    mommy9

Answer by mommy9 at 9:51 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• yes
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 1:19 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• curious.. foster for what age and why?? I mean, my mom was a foster and I wonder what makes you scream that you want to ? do you have other kids?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:31 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Yes, I have a 6 year old son. I would like to foster a child who is 6 or older but I would welcome any child. Being a foster parent is just something that I have always wanted to do. I make decent money but I don't own my own home and I am divorced. I don't know if these two things would "disqualify" me or not.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:35 AM on Oct. 1, 2010