Do you agree with Michelle Obama?

Take money FROM FUTURE FUNDING of food stamps and put it into school lunch program? Looks like House Democrats made a statement. What do you think? Isn't this whole taking from FUTURE FUNDING one reason why our nation has reached the point of financial crisis?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
First lady Michelle Obama’s campaign for healthier school lunches has stalled in Congress after anti-hunger groups and more than 100 Democrats protested the use of food stamp dollars to pay for it.

Passage of the child nutrition bill, which would improve lunches in schools and expand feeding programs for low-income students, has been a priority for Democrats and hunger groups for years.

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 12:43 AM on Oct. 1, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Okay, everyone brace yourselves. I agree with MO that school lunches should be healthier. School lunches today consist of processed, prepackaged, reheated junk food that I seriously cannot believe pass any serious standard for a well-balanced, nutritious meal. When this is the main, or only, meal of the day for some children, the schools are failing them in a significant way.

However, robbing a yet-to-be-paid Peter to pay an in-debt Paul is not the way to fix the problem. Thank you to the Dems who are finally seeing the light here. We cannot spend money we do not have.

There are ways to fix this problem, but individual districts will have to be creative and innovative and not rely on the federal government to send them money and instructions. That would be good, a breath of fresh air.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 7:48 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• No, take Congress's soda money

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 8:35 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• The progressive/liberal idiots just don't learn, do they?
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 1:04 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Really? well, at least the stood up and said no.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:08 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• So they may not get to eat food at home but they will get to eat lunch at school? Good plan, not...

And yes, thank you to the ones who are tired of pretending to take something, which is really nothing, from an empty pocket and put that same nothing into another empty pocket...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 1:47 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• BUMP

agriffinmom4

Answer by agriffinmom4 at 12:46 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• ..."But the groups and many members of the House switched sides when leaders proposed a vote on a Senate-passed version of the legislation that uses future funding for food stamp programs to pay for part of the $4.5 billion cost.

One hundred and six Democrats wrote House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., in August calling the move egregious, saying it was not a vote they would take lightly."

Anybody else want to actually say, Thank You to some House Dems? While our reasons for the stall~ we may not agree. Kudos to the stall nonetheless.. ;oP
    grlygrlz2

Comment by grlygrlz2 (original poster) at 12:48 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Agree with May-20 for the second time this morning.My kids school already went to healthier lunches years back.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 9:12 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Our schools offer salads and vegetarian alternatives in their meals. I have to say, when I have been to lunch w/ my DS and DD, most of the kids that have the school lunches only eat a very small amount of what is served to them. So, either they should have smaller portions or make it taste better (I figure it either tastes bad or is too much food).

Oh, and I am glad for the stall as well.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:55 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• WTH! How's that going to help any? We'll just need to make up for the money in the future. I agree with Sweet take their soda money and their expensive lunchs/dinners they always get. I highly doubt the go out for mcdonalds when a session goes into meal time.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:47 PM on Oct. 1, 2010