Would this poop indicate a food allergy? adult content

My youngest has always had diarrhea...she's been to the doctor about it and they determined it's just normal for her; she has super soft poop all the time, no matter what she eats! But the past 2 days, she has been crying when she poops and is as raw and red as a tomato "down there".

The only change in her diet within the last few days has been strawberries - she ate them with dinner two days in a row. I noticed in one of the "blowouts" she had, it smelled a thousand times worse than normal and was full of all those strawberry seeds. Tonight she woke up screaming because she was so enflamed down there.

Allergic to strawberries, maybe? :-/ What do you think? Any other ideas?

aliceryannesmom

Asked by aliceryannesmom at 1:38 AM on Oct. 1, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My youngest gets that with grapes. But only if he eats too many. I would keep strawberries away from her for a while and then when she gets them again only give her one or two a day and see how she reacts.

For the red ouchie butt, give her a bath in warm water and let her bum soak for 10 -15 minutes. Then let her air dry the best you can and slather her butt in Desitin or whatever diaper cream you like. If it is really burning her, my doc said that you can give some tylenol to lessen the pain.

Good luck!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:43 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• http://allergies.about.com/od/foodallergies/a/ibsallergies.htm
    agriffinmom4

Answer by agriffinmom4 at 1:49 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I would say that yes, that would constitute a food allergy, or at least a sensitivity. Watch her with other berries, too, this might not be limited to just strawberries.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:56 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• sounds like an allergy and my daughter who is 3 also has always had diarrhea since birth, use butt paste it works!
    VERONICAS_MOM

Answer by VERONICAS_MOM at 1:57 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I think there could be an allergy... or maybe more a sensitivity rather than a true food allergy.
    It might also be that the strawberries are too acidic and it's irritating her skin.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:19 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• My cousin (30 days older than my 2yr old) has a strawberry allergy and she has the same issue. So I would think she probably does have an allergy to strawberries. Poor thing. I hope she gets better soon.
    Mipsy

Answer by Mipsy at 9:55 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• starwberries do the same thing t my son. I thinks its more a sensitivity though
    lasombrs

Answer by lasombrs at 11:27 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Food allergies can absolutely cause problems with the digestive tract - including the bowels. FWIW, my DD's primary reaction to her food allergens (peanuts, tree nuts, shellfish) is severe vomiting, but she will also have loose movements for a day or two after exposure.

Has the doctor ever considered her loose bowel movements a sign of allergies before? It's possible she's reacting to something and it's not just "her norm." This recent change could be a reaction to strawberries too. Your best bet is to see a pediatric allergist with food allergy experience. Share your concerns with the allergist. Get her tested if suggested. It is completely possible to "always" have a mild reaction to an allergen until one day when you don't. It's wise to know *if* there is one there and if there is to avoid that food and have an emergency action plan in place. (How is THAT for a run-on sentence?!)
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 12:32 PM on Oct. 1, 2010