Why do people get so offended by seeing a woman BF in public??

I dont understand that. I mean it is natural so why does it bother people??

LiLJeni

Asked by LiLJeni at 1:40 AM on Oct. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• can see. We only prey on nursing mothers when it comes to "decency." It's strange. The nipple is visible for maybe a second while latching and maybe a second while de-latching. It's really not a big deal. Oh also, I know someone who was asked not to nurse at a nudist facility because it offended the men. Plus, magazine covers have racy pictures of near nude breasts all the time, but the one where the baby was attached to the boob generated a huge backlash and tons of articles and blogs being written. So, it's clearly not about nude breasts being indecent, it's about breasts feeding babies. So, what is indecent? Babies eating? If breasts are aceptable in say, nude art, why can't we say they are acceptable when a mom is feeding her baby? It's all so bizarre. By the way, nobody in my family breastfed and I never saw a woman breastfeeding IRL until I did it. Even if it is foreign, it's not indecent.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 2:45 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Boob envy :p

No seriously I think it is because people are so uptight about boobs. I guess they are only to be displayed for a man's pleasure...rolls eyes....

I think it is a beautiful thing and I applaud women who do it.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:45 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I guess it has something to do with the level of modesty that they expect everyone to have. It reminds me of what my husband says about bikinis. He wants to know why women scream when a man walks in on them in their underwear but bikinis are basically the same thing and women walk around on the beach in those. I've noticed other things like that to. Kind of weird, huh?
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 1:50 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I don't let it bother me if someone gets offended. Most of the time people can't even tell I'm NIP. I nursed next to the men's dressing rooms once and 6 men walked by and not one did a second take. About a month ago I BF at the pedi's office in front of 3 teenage boys and they and their mom never even noticed. People don't realize how much nursing actually goes on around them.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 1:54 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• It bothers certain people depending on their up-bringing. Modest and/or ashamed parents make for the same child in most cases. This type of question is just one of the many reasons I HATE being an American! The human body is a beautiful thing and nothing to be ashamed of regardless of the shape or weight or color of it, other countries embrace this fact but a lot of Americans choose to deny it.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 1:55 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• This is something that I had a problem with when I breastfed my children.I think that our culture has made this uncomfortable for some.But non of my children ever felt uncomfortable when I fed their brother or sister in front of them because they only knew it as a natural fact of baby life.
    kelleysprinkel

Answer by kelleysprinkel at 2:11 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Because society is full of assholes. It's what, at least once a week someone starts another rant about this? I don't know about you but I pay for my internet and refuse to waste it on beating a dead horse.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 1:44 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I don't know. It baffles me. I never had a single word said to me when I NIP and if there were any stares or rude looks I didn't ever notice. I used a nursing tank with shirts over it- so I pulled the shirt up and the tank down. Other times, I had her in the sling or the Ergo. People often thought she was sleeping, if they were noticing at all. I never put a blanket over her head or faced a wall. I think it's awful to ask mothers to do that while feeding their babies, it's discrimination. If a woman exposes her whole breast, it isn't offensive to me, she's feeding her baby. And frankly, at times it sucked to always wear a nursing tank (they're expensive, so I only had two which I kept rotating and I lived in FL so wearing two shirts always sucked). So, just because a woman wants to feed her baby without wearing anything special or drapping cloth over her babies head so they breath recycled air, doesn't mean she is flaunting...
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 2:34 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• flaunting anything. I think a lot of people must not understand that (a) a breast is not a sexual organ and that (b) a breast can have more than one function. The primary function is to feed babies and one secondary function is (for some people) sexuality. But lot's of places on the body have sexual function and they are not improper to see. How freaking sexual is the tongue? But if you eat or stick out your tongue, nobody says it is obscene. My back is way more sexually sensitive than my boobs. Go figure. Anyway, it seems to be that what is offensive is not the sexuality of breasts, but the lack of it! After all, we don't see women with a lot of cleavage being told to leave establishments or face the wall, it just doesn't happen. And excessive cleavage and even partial nipple visibility, or nipples you can see through the shirt, are pretty common. But nobody dares say anyhting to those women, or the men whose underwear we ca
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 2:39 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Two words; Formula Guilt.

Almost all of the backlash I got as a nursing mother was from women.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:05 AM on Oct. 1, 2010