Do you think the polls are a psychological manipulation?

Every day almost I see polls and they're constantly changing. Who really keeps changing their mind that often? The polls cannot be legitamate if they keep changing daily like that. It would mean the people they poll likely live in a area that is more blue or red.

SylviaNCali

Asked by SylviaNCali at 2:43 PM on Oct. 23, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I've wonered the same thing. I don't know that I'd say they were being manipulated but a "random" group of people is called and their responses are used to gage the entire country. First - this group has land based phones. Second - they haven't asked to have all such calls blocked. Third - they are willing to answer the questions instead of hanging on the call. How random is that group really going to be?
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:04 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Not too random IMO if they know that numbers in a certain area are prone to be blue or red. It just seems like they should be more specific and say we polled people in these counties and this is the result. I know my city is slightly more Republican if you poll and call one side of town known to be more Red or blue then that's what you will get. One thing is for certain. I want this to be over like yesterday.

SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 3:18 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I have also heard that pollsters will lead you to a certain answer. For example, if you are a registered democrat then they will not even ask who you support in the election. They simply assume its Obama, rather than a third party or McCain.
    Anonymous

• I don't think the polls mean much. I just don't want people to think anything is "fixed" if the poll leader doesn't win. The results just confuse people who think the polls actually mean something.
    Anonymous

• I do not rely on the polls.
    catholicmamamia

Answer by catholicmamamia at 4:36 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I don't think it matters what the polls say -- because I think what really matters is *who* will actually get out and vote. Many people will have good intentions, many people will make claims that they will do this, or that.. In 2004 voter turnout was "up" to 56%. I am curious to see what it ends up being this year.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 4:50 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Sometimes the news that is conducting the poll will say they had a larger Democratic or Undecided, Republican sampling. So, I don't think there is any manipulation.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 4:53 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I have done a lot of polls and have been called by the Washington Post and one other paper for interviews. I think it depend on what group is doing the polls on the out come. It has been over a week since my last poll. I do a lot for Yahoo and Knowledge Network. If you are undecided and they get your name, look out.
    Anonymous

• i don't think they're trying to manipulate anyone but i also don't think they mean all that much.
    it all depends on who is calling and when.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 5:25 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I place no faith in polls. There are too many variables for them to be accurate.
    Momtocccd

Answer by Momtocccd at 5:38 PM on Oct. 23, 2008