Are you more fertile, as in more prone to twins, during your first menstrual cycle after giving birth?

I have an eight month old, and have had one menstrual cycle, in which I got pregnant! Well, you know what I mean. During that fertile time. I am now about 5 or 6 weeks along, and am already back in my maternity pants! I can't believe it! So I was wondering if getting pregnant so soon, and during the first cycle, can lead to having twins? I've been pretty tired, not too nauseous, dizzy, heartburn, and already look like I did at 10 weeks. Any opinions? I know, I won't know til I get an ultrasound. I have my first doc appt. on Nov. 3.

crystalhuskey

Asked by crystalhuskey at 2:54 PM on Oct. 23, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I got pregnant when my first daughter was 4 months old and i seemed to put the weight on faster also but i was just pregnant with 1 baby. Unless twins run in your family or you take some kind of fertility drug i wouldnt think you would be pregnant with more then one baby...but i couldnt be wrong... CONGRATS!!
    mom2girliegirls

Answer by mom2girliegirls at 3:02 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Twins don't run in my family, but they do in my husband's. Wonder if that hereditary? Maybe it's just the mom's family that counts in that. Hm.
    crystalhuskey

Answer by crystalhuskey at 3:05 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• i think it has to come from the mothers side since we are the ones who have trhe egg...hmm
    mom2girliegirls

Answer by mom2girliegirls at 3:06 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• you also show sooner when you have your second + child(ren) = so that chould be why you are already back into maternity clothes (aside from the fact that 8 months after delivery we are usually still trying to fight off those unwanted pounds we gained)
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 3:13 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Fraternal twins are from two eggs, definitely Mom only - and can be a genetic passed trait. Identical twins are when the fertilized egg splits - this is actually not thought to be genetic. Twinning occurs naturally about 3% of the time. We see more multiples now because of fertility treatments.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 3:15 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Your age is more of a factor. As you get older your body is more likely to release more than one egg during ovulation. Genetics is also a factor. I have twin aunts, two of my cousins have twins, and so does my cousins daughter, and me of course. I found out I was having twins at my first appointment, they can tell you right away. Congrats :)
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 4:24 PM on Oct. 23, 2008