is it hard to potty train a 2 year old boy? I have tried everything and nothing seems to work! what should i try to do?

potty training boys

momin20062008

Asked by momin20062008 at 2:56 PM on Oct. 23, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The best answer I can give is wait until he's ready. Most boys aren't completely potty trained until they're about 3. My oldest started showing interest about 33 months, he was potty trained completely by the time he was 3.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 3:02 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Just because he is 2 doesn't mean he needs to be trained, not trying to sound rude but really now who says a kid HAS TO BE trained at 2. Forcing the issue will bring about alot of accidents. My 1st one I trained at 2 because that is what siciety has you thking, that they HAVE TO BE out of diapers at 2. I had to deal with a million accients because it. My 2 and 3rd kids were trianed when they were ready at 3 and a half. Never had to deal with an accident. My 4th is a boy and I have been working on him being ready for some time now, he's not ready to give up the diaper but he will pee on the potty if he has too. He is 4 and I know that he will be fully trained in a few months. It takes time, just roll with it and it will be easier for everyone.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 3:20 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I know a lot of boys these days are getting traind later, but I'm starting to wonder if it is the parents and not the kids. (now I know some kids will take longer no matter what) The thing that worked for me, and I have heard over and over is to put then in underwear. It took my 25mo old 2 weeks to get it. He still has accidents, but if I take him ever two hours he does well. I think he could have done it earlier, but I was too lazy. Diapers are so easy, who wants to clean up pee all day. But you have to do it sooner or later. encourage it, but don't force it.
    AJmamma

Answer by AJmamma at 3:40 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I agree that all kids may not be ready at age 2. Lord knows my son wasn't. He wasn't fully trained until he was 4. Personally, I didn't want to put him in underwear and deal with the accidents. I know it works for some people but that wouldn't work for me. I have 2 other kids with a social life, involved in sports etc. I didn't think the accidents would be worth it. Try holding off for a month or two, then see if he's ready. Also, there's a great dvd called "Once Upon a Potty." One or girls and one for boys. My kids loved it. Maybe it will pique his interest. Good Luck!
    good2me

Answer by good2me at 5:08 PM on Oct. 23, 2008