How long do you wait to send your child back to school after a cold?

Do you wait for all the symptoms to go away, until he's in better spirits, or do you wait a certain number of days?

mbdc

Asked by mbdc at 3:03 AM on Oct. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• Let me just thank the parents who don't send sick kids to school. We keep ours home until they are fever-free for 24 hours and until the cough isn't horrible. The school policy here is keep them home if they have a fever.
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 7:44 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Just last week my kindergardener was sent home by the school nurse with a 101 remp, sore throat, runny nose and just not feeling well. Granted I didn't know he had a temp and his nose wasn't running that morning either. He's a tough kid and never really acts sick. He had the flu one time and dh and I didn't even know it for awhile because he never said anything about not feeling well. But I guess he said something to his teacher last week. Whatever the case, the nurse had to send him home because of the temp. I wish schools had done that when I was in school. Shoot, I've gone to school with full-blown pnemonia and a temp a lot higher than 101 and teachers swore I was ok. That was last Friday that ds was went home and by the time someone picked him up from school he was ok lol. He was given Tyenol once home a few times and by morning he was normal. If he had still been sick by Mon I would have waited till fever was gone.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 3:11 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• As long as my child doesn't have a fever and she/he is feeling well enough then they are going to school or daycare. If there not feeling great or looking/acting good to me then they stay home and rest and I pamper them back to health.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 3:21 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• My kids go to school unless they have a high fever or are vomiting. The school policy here is to be in school everyday, on time.
    ShaunnaMichelle

Answer by ShaunnaMichelle at 3:30 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• My kids go to school with a cold. They cant miss school for every sniffle or cough.
    dmelyoung

Answer by dmelyoung at 8:40 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• She will go to school unless she has a fever.
    mygirlpaige

Answer by mygirlpaige at 9:33 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• without a fever, they go to school!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 10:14 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• My kids don't stay home if they just have a cold.  Unless they have a high fever, are throwing up or are so sick they can barely move they go to school.  I've also let my son stay home when he has a migraine because I know how much that sucks (he misses more school for migraines than being sick).

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:54 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• The reason I asked is because my son had a cold for the past two weeks. He had a fever at first, but it went away, however he was coughing like crazy and very snotty, so I kept him home from preschool. He's too young to understand blowing his nose still and I didn't want the teacher to have to deal with his drippy nose every five minutes when she has 20 other kids to deal with. Plus, I wasn't sure how long he would be contagious since his doctor didn't mention it when I took him in to see her.
    mbdc

Comment by mbdc (original poster) at 6:48 PM on Oct. 1, 2010