At what age did you get your child their first pet?

ajc88

Asked by ajc88 at 4:01 AM on Oct. 1, 2010 in Pets

• We had some variety of pets before the kids ever came along. The first pets we bought specifically with the kids in mind was our guinea pigs- when we got our original pair the kids were 6, 4, and 2. Before that we had a hedgehog, who the kids liked to look at but who was a tad grumpy and hard for them to handle. After the hedgehog died, Santa brought guinea pigs and guinea pig accessories for the kids, but realistically they are the family pets. The kids love them, but I don't expect the kids to take care of them and do most of the dirty work (cleaning, etc.) The kids just get to be the heros who give snacks and fill water bottles!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:19 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• She's more my cat, but I share her with ds(4) and dd(18 mons) their ages at the time we got the cat. The best animals are rescued ones. Its like they KNOW you saved them and are grateful lifelong.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 4:05 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Our family has a cat and a dog. I had a cat prior to meeting DH who died when my oldest was 2 and we got a new cat within a couple of months. The dog joined our family about 1.5 years ago (when boys were 8 & 4). I had always wanted a dog and we were finally in a house with a yard and weren't traveling so much. I guess that our pets are more for me than for the kids! My oldest has been asking for a snake and I think I'll wait until he's a little bit older for that. It'll be in his room and I want to make sure he's responsible enough to care for it well.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 6:20 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• We had pets before my daugter was born so she was always been around them. But when she was 5 years old we bottle raised a litter of kiitens that we had found and she claimed one as her own. So Mouse is her cat.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 7:10 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• We had dogs when my son was born, at one we saved a cat, at three he got his own cat (She wasn't meant to stay in the house she belonged to a friend who left her behind.) & He takes care of his cat at five. THe only thing he doesn't do is change the litter... The cat is all his, she loves him to death, she lays with him until he is a sleep, she waits at the door until he gets off the bus, she lays with him when he's watching t.v & even plays with him when hes playing wtih his hotwheels. (he'll push them down the hall & she'll chase them & bring them back to him.) I think the cat thinks shes a dog.
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 7:11 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• My daughter got a fish at age 7. I have cats, though, and I got one of them years before she was born. I got the other when my daughter was about 18 months old.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 9:28 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I got a fish when I was about five.
    istealcookies

Answer by istealcookies at 12:20 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• We had a cat when my DD was born. She's 3 now and we just got a puppy about 6 weeks ago.
    August07Mom

Answer by August07Mom at 12:21 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• My children have never had a pet of their own. Our cat was here before the kids were and he's mostly just mine, he likes the kids, but he's my baby.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 5:55 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• We have always had a dog..even b4 the kids. We now have 2 and the ds and dd are both 5.
    armywife8879

Answer by armywife8879 at 9:35 PM on Oct. 1, 2010