How often did you bathe your newborn?

I gave both my boys baths every day. I like for them to be clean and smell like a baby.. but I just read an article that said differently:

Drop the soap: Newborns don't need a bath every day. In fact, a lot of babies get rashes and dry skin from too many baths. Until your baby's umbilical cord stump falls off, wash her with a soft sponge or cloth instead of putting her in the tub. When the cord has healed, she only needs a bath once or twice a week. After a few months, daily baths are fine (though not necessary), but use a moisturizer as soon as she's out of the tub.
--Originally published in Parents magazine--

What do you think?

ajc88

Asked by ajc88 at 4:19 AM on Oct. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I bathed a couple times a week. Area washed as needed and sponge bathed daily. Actually putting baby body in tub of water 2 times a week.
    Be careful with too much lotion, can cause reactions. The whole body does not need to be soaked because of spit up. Babys do not usually spit up on their whole bodies. If that were the case some babies would be having a complete baths 12 times a day. Wash areas as needed.
    You wash the bottoms with every diaper change to remove urine and feces residue. That does not usually call for an entire bath.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:39 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I bathed mine once a week in the very beginning because they had very sensitive skin and eczema. DD was actually born with already dry skin that was cracked and bleeding some. She lost her protective coating in utero because she was born at 41 weeks. Fragrance free soap and lotion are a must. It wasn't until she and ds were 2 years old that they were completely over eczema. I started bathing twice a week when they were a couple of months old and gradually moved up the baths as they got older and more dirty playing in the floor and eating solids and such. I always ask myself before bathing them, are they REALLY dirty?
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 4:32 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I did every two to three days. Unless she had spit up a ton then she had a bath.
    tanya_marieh

Answer by tanya_marieh at 5:39 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• i bathed my daughter every day! i think thats disgusting only doing it 1-2 times a week!! but thats my opinion, and thats probably because my daughter spit up ALOT!!! and i couldnt stand the smell of her..LOL..she never had any rashes or skin problems, i did use lotion on her after every bath, but thats because it smelled soooooooo good.. :) i miss that smell!!!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 4:27 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• i have a 5 week old and they told me at the hospital 2 bath her every 2 days and not 2 do it every day but i dont like the every 2 days so i just do it ever other day
    Paigesmommy78

Answer by Paigesmommy78 at 4:36 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I bathed mine every.u can avoid soap daily in case u have any apprehensions
    A11

Answer by A11 at 5:36 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• my son I could only bath every other day because of his skin but my daughter's skin is fine and I bath her every day! I just love the one on one time with them.. it's part of our routine and she feels so much better, sometimes that is the only think that makes her happy :) she is 2 months know and she has had a bath pretty much every day since the cord fell off!
    randilinn

Answer by randilinn at 7:29 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I give mine a bath every other day.
    BWIND

Answer by BWIND at 9:02 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Every other day, usually after a dirty diaper.
    LittleD96

Answer by LittleD96 at 2:06 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Always did it at most 3 times a week, but DD has had eczema from the start and the more frequent bathing dries her skin out and makes the eczema itchy, even with lotion or oil. When she was still little and spit up prone I would just spot clean as needed.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 4:06 PM on Oct. 1, 2010