Do I have to have a midwife in order to get my membranes stripped?

I'm 39 weeks today and I know babies come when they are ready but I recently heard about the membranes of your cervix or something like that being able to be stripped. But I have a OB and I heard that only Doula and Midwives do the membrane stripping. Is that true?

velvetnbrielle

Asked by velvetnbrielle at 6:07 AM on Oct. 1, 2010 in Pregnancy

• My doctor did it for me (with all 3 of my pregnancies). It never worked, according to my Doctor it only works about 50% of the time. It is painful to get it done.

Stripping of your Membrane is when your doctor (or midwife/doula) runs their finger along your cervix and pulls the sac away from your cervix.
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 7:43 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• i have had an ob strip mine before, they wont do it if u arent dilated a little though....they have to be able to reach them....and it kinda hurts, but it works! good luck
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 6:09 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• What is Membrane stripping?
    pumpkindreams

Answer by pumpkindreams at 6:16 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• My OB did it for my first pregnancy...it was really uncomfortable and did not work. I was dialated 4 so they assumed it would get things started...2 weeks after that I was finally induced.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 8:10 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• My OB stripped my membranes....I just dont think its something they advertise. It did work for me I delivered a few days later.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 8:17 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• They say your due dates are never exact,to give or take two weeks, so why would they risk a week that could be imperative for your baby. The said my son was 38 weeks, he was actually just under 36 and was in a NICU because his lungs weren't ready. They offered but I declined the last time around.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 8:35 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Oh yeah, a doula would NEVER strip your membranes, she is a labor coach, assistant to the woman in labor not allowed to do that stuff!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 8:36 AM on Oct. 1, 2010